myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board getting ready to break in half?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Got an email from Patrice, the owner of Exocet,
who wrote:
"it seems that you "may" have sailed it pretty hard one day in side shore and steep choppy water or took off on a even small jump and got some stress on the board ...
Best regards

Looks like I'm on my own with this. Sad

You've got to be kidding.
I just added Exocet to my list of brands I will never buy.
When we tested boards for PWR magazine, we jumped the living crap out of even Gold Cop race boards simply because we were trying to put a year's worth of use on them in a few sessions. Most of them stood up to it.

HOWEVER, when a Gorge custom jump board snapped in its first session, we eliminated it from the test. Next year the shaper wrote "Don't jump it so much this time" on the blank, beneath the final clear coat .

Yeah ... right.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Exocet is about to go belly up? If this is how they treat their customers they certainly deserve to.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Got an email from Patrice, the owner of Exocet;

Sorry for this late answer, after looking at the pictures and different comments on the forum, i can state that the issue is not due to juncture with PVC

We did have such issues on several short boards with similar crease and in most cases it is due to a hard stress, it does not really matter how many time you have sailed with the board but to me it seems that you "may" have sailed it pretty hard one day in side shore and steep choppy water or took off on a even small jump and got some stress on the board

Such crease can be easily repaired in any shop, but i can't see miss manufacturing from our side

If the whole bottom of the board would been soft then you would have had many more waves and in that case it would have been a clear production problem

Let me know if you have further feedback to give me and will answer you straight away

Best regards

Looks like I'm on my own with this. Sad

wow, that sucks..
the windsnap, er windsup was one of the boards that i had been considering as an eventual replacement for my kona 11 5, and as i would plan on taking it in the waves, its definitely off the list now.

d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a WindSUP 11'8". I think the design is great, but from what I'm hearing there may be some problems in the construction or the quality control at the factory.

The evidence so far:

1. The crease in beaglebuddy's 11'8"
2. The buckling of boardsurfr's 10'0"
3. My own 11'8" has held together, knock on AST, but the daggerboard gasket was fitted very poorly, with a big gap in the back and the lips sticking up in the front. I had to gorilla tape them down.

With such a long, wide nose I definitely feel a "thud" vibrating through the board when going over chop, which I'm sure puts a strain on it. Maybe in the next model year they will put additional longitudinal reinforcements in the front end, or give it a deeper vee or pointier nose. The board is quite heavy, but the materials might not be optimally distributed for the right kind of strength.

andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's crazy, I always assumed a board with a 1-year warranty was just that baring major human error like leaving it in a 160 deg car they would honor it. I have a buddy that broke his new board in half at swell, he took it back to the shop and got a new one. I have never had a problem returning a broken mast.

I have broken two board's (not under warranty) and they were way more center mass or close to the rocker point.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not liking these other reports...especially because I bought a Windsup 10 a month ago that's still sitting in my basement gearing up to be tried for the first time next season.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boardsrfr: I had a quick read of your unfortunate 2nd session on your blog. Did your board go over the falls in the shore pound? If so, I could see why they would not want to warranty the board. All surfers have heard stories of people snapping perfectly good longboards in small shore-break. There is lots of leverage on 9+ foot boards.

I think BB's issue is clearly a manufacturing flaw.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucaro wrote:
Did your board go over the falls in the shore pound?

The board was never turned upside down by the shore break. I held on to the rig for most of the time. The entire action was not very dramatic, which is why I was surprised to see the damage after putting it down on the shore.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as I don't like to see public damnation,
the Exocet response is none too customer service oriented, they must of course draw a line somewhere .

I think I would support my customer base in this case

My own Exocet windsurf board has been sound

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to run down Exocet but the curious thing is that I have been negotiating this problem with the dealer who has been negotiating with Exocet for 3 months now. Over the last month I had to insist on a decision of some sort.
The link to this thread was forwarded so Exocet knew full well this was a public discussion and their final verdict would be published online.
It think I would be satisfied if they paid to have it fixed but sadly that hasn't been offered. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: