myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Luff and boom specs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point, Craig. Indeed, all sails stretch but the big sails stretch the most in gross distance. A brand new FW sail usually stretches several cms in gross luff length after a few hours of sailing. When sail tension is greatly affected by just a few millimeters of adjustment, it does pay to pay attention to stretch.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the prior recommendation of writing your settings directly on the sail (sharpie or ball point pen both work). Manufacturer settings are notorious for being off. Also, don't carry around a card with your settings, you will lose it or forget it at some point. Just put the settings right on the sail- downhaul setting at the tack, boom setting at the clew. This will greatly decrease your rigging time.

As for sails stretching...I've never noticed this and many of my sails are five or more years old with the same setting information I put on them when they were new. Also, if you downhaul or outhaul lines are stretching, time for a different type of line. There are plenty of downhaul lines out there that have virtually zero stretch.

sm
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a video from Maui Sails on how to measure for repeatable DH settings, if not entirely in line with all sail brands. I understand North may not use this method, but I cannot be entirely sure. Either way, this method allows you to get the same DH settings regardless of what particular extension you happen to be using.

http://vimeo.com/58101888#at=95

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: