myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ezzy Masts Top and Bottom
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Ezzy Masts Top and Bottom Reply with quote

Hey folks!

Just got a 7.5 ezzy Zephyr and was looking to get either a new 460 masts for it or try to get the 490 top to combine with my 430 bottom (the ezzy mast config. said it should work). Do any of you have multiple tops and bottoms for your ezzy masts? Would you recommend it?

Thanks!
-Kevin
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take this for what it's worth.

No Limitz claims that all their mast ferrules are all the same size and are interchangeable. I bought a NoLimitz 400cm Sumo top to match with my Nolimitz 400cm Original bottom, because it offers a better bend curve for my sails (not Ezzy sails). Given the fact that Ezzy masts are made by No Limitz, and that Ezzy claims some interchangeability, I think that you could mix and match. The only question is whether you like the combination and find it optimum. It could be that a 460 is the recommend first choice, and a 430 bottom/490 top is a viable, but different second option.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go to the Ezzy site and ask your question here http://www.ezzy.com/rig-support/ezzy-faqs/ You'll get a reply back usually within 24 hours. The mast configurator they have is helpful but I don't take it as gospel, for instance They say my 5.2 Panther Ltd should rig best on a 400 top and bottom with something like 28cm of extension but I like it better with the 430 top and 400 bottom and very little extension like they suggest for my older 5.2 Panther.
Good luck!

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kevin, I have Ezzy sails and their masts as well. I've been mixing tops and bottoms with my 400 and 460 masts with great results. I have a 7.5 cheetah wich I use with the recomended 460 mast with around 20 cm. extension. I mix the 400 base with my 460 top when using my 5.8 ezzy wave, and prefer that combo over the recomended 430 mast with 18cm. extension. With the combo you are suggesting, 430 base/ 490 top you will still need nearly 20 cm. base extension which I an sure will work fine. I think you are ok to go up to 45cm. base extension with ezzy masts.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a combo of Ezzy mast sizes, normally I only go one size difference
ie: 400/430 ,using the smaller bottom and longer stiffer top. YMMV

I have used and will continue a 370B/ 430T for my 5.0, this works great.
FWIW on the 5.0 I also tried a 370/370 with a RDM extendo by North to achieve the 400 needed, it paled by comparison to the 370B/430T , being far too soft.

So in practice it works for me.

in your case the 490 is going to be stiff, but David would tell you to try it.
At the very least I would recommend to rig it, and see, and try the 490 top and bottom in the combo with the 430 reversed.

David himself will answer your question, quickly.

david ezzy(david@ezzy.com)

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have found, you have a lot of flexibility and potential using a softer smaller bottom with a stiffer longer top, but the inverse is a wholly different story. One time I tried using a 430 bottom with a 370 top to create a 400 length mast, and I actually tried to sail it. The result was completely unacceptable. It's important to keep in mind that there are certain boundaries that can't be readily crossed.
grayson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed the Zephyr with Ezzy 430b+490t and it was great. Can't compare to how it'd feel with 460b+460t because I didn't have those mast sections when I demoed the Zephyr. I can tell you that I haven't felt a huge difference in my 2009 Freeride 7.0 between sailing the 430b+490t and the new 460b+460t that I added to my quiver last season. Not saying there's no difference, just that there wasn't enough of one to make a noticeable difference to me.

One other thing to consider is the rest of your quiver. For your specific situation, I'd say if you're pretty sure 460 is the biggest mast you'll ever need with your planned quiver, then go 460b+460t for your Zephyr. If you think you might want a 490 at some point in the future for a larger sail, then go 430b+490t for your Zephyr. In either case you can add mast sections to cover the rest of your quiver as needed and as it grows. Here's how it might flesh out over time in both cases:

460b/460t/400b/400t/340b...
460b+460t = 460
400b+460t = 430
400b+400t = 400
340b+400t = 370

490b/490t/430b/430t/370b...
490b+490t = 490
430b+490t = 460
430b+430t = 430
370b+430t = 400

In general, the mix&match ability of Ezzy masts is a great feature for keeping your mast count to a minimum. The only down side is that you'll definitely have to de-rig a sail before you can rig the next size up or down.

And yes, follow the guidelines on the Ezzy website and the markings on your sail. In a nutshell, only mix smaller bottom with larger top, and only up to 60cm difference between the two. I've never been steered wrong by following Ezzy's recommendations, and I've sailed mix-matched Ezzy masts for years.

Enjoy! Cool
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Hot sails has interchangeable masts but they say you should always use the longer bottom and the shorter top together and not to jump more than two sizes, i.e., 490 bottom with 460 top etc...
If you use a longer top you will be creating a stiffer mast if this is what you want.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Interesting, Hot sails has interchangeable masts but they say you should always use the longer bottom and the shorter top together and not to jump more than two sizes, i.e., 490 bottom with 460 top etc...
If you use a longer top you will be creating a stiffer mast if this is what you want.

I suspect that has a lot to do with properly locating the boom reinforcement area. Using a shorter bottom may position that area below where the boom could be attached. Also, masts that tend to the flex top side of constant curve will dramatically alter their flex pattern when going to a shorter and therefore softer bottom section.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
beaglebuddy wrote:

I suspect that has a lot to do with properly locating the boom reinforcement area. Using a shorter bottom may position that area below where the boom could be attached. Also, masts that tend to the flex top side of constant curve will dramatically alter their flex pattern when going to a shorter and therefore softer bottom section.

You bring up a good point on the reinforce area, some of which are hard to fin the location, when I did the 370/370 with a RDM 40cm Extendo the reinforced area was very close to being too high ( think thats the right direction) but it was in line.

the Hot Sails difference in soft on top I reckon is more to keep the softer top, which would then suit better the flexy top curve they like, RATHER than round the other way, Ezzy stiffer. It may very well come down to personal feel and the particular sail

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: