myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Future of Windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
how would you know how your speed compares to others unless you informally raced against one of your buds?

When you very seldom get passed by anyone else at a crowded site, and especially when yer buds whine that they can't catch you even when you didn't know anyone was trying to catch you, you kinda know how your speed compares.
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competing is the number #1 way to improve your sailing. I sailed club one-design racing for some years . I finished last the first year - I had kidded myself I could sail well, until I got whupped by everyone else in the fleet.
I applied myself so I was middle of the pack second year, and in the top of the pack final year. Sometimes I blew the racing off to wave-sail, but the racing improved all my skills.

I sailed the AWT last year and it was an awesome experience - it really motivated me to improve my wave sailing skill set. Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak of the devil, the AWT is a fantastic event. I sailed in 4 of the Enduros on my wave gear. Felt like a fool, but had fun supporting my sport. Why don't some of you "racers" sign up for the AWT?
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
You know, it could be argued that windsurfing grew as a sport and that equipment advanced in spite of racing. Otherwise, everyone would still be sailing the original Windsurfer with Dacron sails and teak booms.

And just what is wrong with Dacron?
http://nicholasfoto.smugmug.com/Other/10m-SpeedFreak/i-tKb3Ls7/0/XL/IMG_1487a-XL.jpg
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original Dacron boo.
Hot sails Dacron yeah.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Run a couple of laps and have a party afterword’s.

WSing is mighty expensive, frustrating, time-consuming, gear-intensive, career-impacting, long road just to get to a party. Would that facet of it really draw more people into the sport? And would that be a good thing?
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
And would that be a good thing?
you're right. Stay home.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must poke fun at Isobars. When I started racing, none of my buds could generally pass me. I finished last, when I finished. Racing involves much more than top speed--it rewards those who are near top speed more of the time, who make quick transitions, and are smart enough to sail the shortest course. It is humbling, on a daily basis, when you sail with 5 or 6 guys who have been winning the nationals nearly every year. It is only for those who are humble enough to know they have limitations and want to improve. It is definitely not for Iso.
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with Iso. (shocker!) Windsurfing isn't expensive, new windsurfing gear is expensive. Windsurfing is one of the least expensive sports I've indulged in, once you've got your gear. SKIING is expensive. Skydiving is expensive. Sea-Doos are what, $10,000. now? Golfing can be expensive, if you go to the nicer courses. The only expense to go windsurfing is whatever gas it takes and maybe some parking.

Sure, if you're a mental case about gear, like I am, you can spend a lot of money, but you don't have to. You could get everything you need used for probably $1,000., and it would last 5 years or more. That's cheap fun!

IMHO, it's the difficulty of learning that keeps windsurfing from being more popular. If we had the device from the movie "Brainstorm" that would let someone truly experience what it feels like to windsurf on a good day, there'd be no shortage of windsurfers.

pzwinakis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Competing is the number #1 way to improve your sailing."

That's one perspective but wavesailing could be said to be the best thing.. or freestyle, or..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: