myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
mastbox in SUP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clif37

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: mastbox in SUP Reply with quote

I am going to put a mastbox in my NSP 11'6" SUP. How far from the tail end of the board should I put the center of the mast box?
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the center of the board, then locate the rear of the box at that point, if it's around 8' long, for every foot longer than that, add about 2" (a 10' board will have the rear of the box at about 4" forward of center).
Basically, there is no standard formula, beings that there are many different board shapes that require different tweaking, and tuning, so, the longer the box the better.
For your board I'd put the rear of the box at about 6" to 7" forward of center.
Clif37

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 11 foot 6 inch board that would put the center of a 10 inch box at 81 inches from the tail. Seems pretty far froward to me but I don't know- thats why I'm asking. Thanks.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 11' NSP I put the rear of the mast track at the center of the board and I ended up usually putting the mast towards the front of the track.
So it should go forward, just how forward I'm not sure.
It sails ok in low wind, great for learning and fooling around in small waves.
I think a board with a domed deck would work better.
In higher winds as you move towards the back of the board the long nose rears up in the air and it becomes unmanageable.
The flat deck becomes hard to stay on board and when you stand in the middle the fin can spin out under speed.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are planing hulls with windsurfing rockers, but they should be a pretty good guide. the 11'8 has an 18" box in it. i put the base all the way back on it with smaller fins and sails. bigger stuff, will want to be put a bit more forward. http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/wind-sup.php
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea where,
but I would measure or have measured something similar, that is a factory installed unit
before I installed something.

If you took a middle of the road measure , I suppose you have YET a lot of room to move.

But I would want some assurance it is in the ball park

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience was with a shorter SUP. I put a mast track in a 9'6 Coreban at 130 cm from the tail. I ended up always sailing with it as far back in the box as it would go.

I had a lot of fun sailing that board. It wasn't an early planer but it planed well if the wind was strong enough. I even managed to plane through my jibes when the wind picked up. But I had to be as far back on the board as possible for it to plane (probably because the board has a surf rocker, not a sailing rocker).
RichardMueller

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2011 Fanatic Fly SUP is 11 feet x 32 inches; 220 liters.

One mast position is located 66 inches from back of board; the second mast position is at 73 inches from back. I have always sailed with mast stepped at the 73 inch position.

Richard
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a mount installed in my 11’6” SUP last summer at Delta Windsurf. It is not a mast-track, but a single spot where you take the locking nut off the bottom of your single bolt mast base and twist it into the board. They placed it right next to the carry handle so it is 77” off the tail. Works fine for my purposes, tooling around with a 5.5 or under rig & for sail tricks.

Coachg
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Mast Track Postition on a SUP Reply with quote

On my Angulo 10' 10" board the mast track is just about centered with the carrying handle. The carrying handle is, unfortunately, not exactly where the center of gravity is with the three fins installed. Seems it was located without taking into account the weight of the fins. And, yes, the fins are stock.

I have to admit, I have not removed the fins to see if it would be properly balanced without them inserted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: