myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona 9.0 rigging help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't see the picture anymore and cannot comment. I tried to figure it out by myself too, and it is very difficult since comments are confusing. My Ezzy's were easy to figure out, but not the Kona. The Kona is different from most sails. What helped me the most was to meet people who knew the sail well and ask them to help me rig it.

The battens must be overtensioned compared to a regular sail. The lowest batten will have an S-Shape and the second lowest starts to have an S-shape too. On a regular sail, you just get rid of the wrinkles. On the Kona, you have to see that the batten is kind of stretching the monofilm, making a bulge since it pushes hard on the panels to create a belly.

For low-wind, it barely takes downhaul and the leach will be tight. The bottom batten doesn't rotate on my old sail. I tried a newer 9.0 sail last weekend in Cocoa beach and the two bottom batten would not rotate easily. It was sailling great. This newer sail is a bit different than mine as it has a tack strap.

In higher wind, you obviously need more downhaul. It is easy to overdownhaul it and easy to spot. If the twist is uneven, you probably have too much downhaul.

If you look on www.konaone.com, you will find more info.

BTW, I recommend you get some sort of adjustable outhaul to go with the sail. On a large sail, you feel more the effects of not being tuned properly. The AO will allow you to do quick adjustments.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a little thin skinned and took the pic down. I would put it back up but I can't find it anywhere. I may have deleted it. I too have an Ezzy and I feel pretty confident about rigging it. I have studied the info on the Kona site and according to your comments and the reply of jingebritson I think I may be in the ballpark. If I find the pic I will put it back up.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here goes. Here is the pic of the sad looking sail.

What do you think Sailboarder?

IMG_7813.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1 MB
 Viewed:  9906 Time(s)

IMG_7813.JPG

gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seeing this post now.
Great pic... your sail looks fine. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.
Yes, you're right... it's very hard to learn this sport in a vacume.
Also, this sport attracts LOTS of very technical types. And true, there can be a lot of technical details. But, if you're close... you'll be good enough.

That sail has a wide tuning range. You can rig it with less downhaul for light winds, or way more for high winds.
Don't worry about it, JUST GET OUT AND SAIL !!!

Just looking at your pic... I'd say you have plenty of downhaul. You could reduce it an inch for winds less than 15 mph. And you could add a bit (maybe) for winds over 20.
Regarding batten rotation, many newer sailors (if they haven't had lessons) don't know the tricks to "pop" their sail when tacking/jibing.
Don't worry... you'll figure it out. Have fun'
Greg Smile
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne,

Let's be clear: I'm no expert with that sail. Other helped me tough...

The S I have seen on other sails and mine are on the battens, before rigging.

Once rigged, my sail doesn't feature the S anymore, only a big belly that get smaller and smaller towards the top. I use less batten tension.

I cannot say for sure, but I would also guess there is too much outhaul in your rig.

I assume you bought the sail from Steve Gottlieb? Send him your picture, he will be able to help you for sure.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also follow this link to see pictures (not mine) Read the captions too...

https://plus.google.com/photos/115042938345045118175/albums/5113850152088132465?banner=pwa&sqi&sqsi
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder, you will get MANY more years out of your sail, if you de-tension the battens when not in use.
"They" will say that you don't have to. And, if you want to shave 1 min from rigging and 1 min from de-rigging than just leave them tight.
But, if you want to make the sail last as long as possible... and maintain it's high performance shape, for as long as possible.
Then, I would de-tension battens while de-rigging. And then you won't have the S-ing when the sail is lying there flat.

Anyway, your post, got me to look at Darbonne's pic again.
And sorry, I missed it the first time. He does have too much tension on those lower battens... as they are S-ing. Batten tension should be reduced.
And I agree, he should also reduce outhaul some.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure that much batten tension is healthy for the sail. agreed about the down and out hauls too. this sail in the lightest of winds needs very little of either. as the wind picks up and hammers, play with the tensions sparingly.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I released all the batten tension before I packed it up. I have learned that I have the most recent Kona sail and the Kona tuning guide does not strictly apply. A couple of guys in my region have offered to help me this summer. in the meantime this thread has helped a lot. This Sat. is supposed to be 79 and sunny with an 11MPH south wind. Time to get this thing on the water. Thanks to all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: