myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dozens of Jericoacoara rental boards for sale at Windance
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Dozens of Jericoacoara rental boards for sale at Windance Reply with quote

Windance in Hood River has a boatload, literally, of JP and Starboard rental fleet boards coming in by boat (I wasn't kidding). For some great deals on boards such as 75-100 liter B&J, wave, FSW, some quads, etc, click on
http://www.windance.com/Used-Gear-Used-Windsurf-Boards/ .
They ship fairly cheaply just about anywhere in the U.S., rate their boards' condition accurately, and will go over an individual board via live internet video with you on the phone, so don't overlook them.

Last edited by isobars on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Isobars. I am looking for a high wind board, already have an 85L JP FSW which i like, but I need something smaller for 3.0- 4.5. I weigh about 150lbs. Have you any experience with Real Wind, or the Mistral Syncro fish? If so I'd like to hear your impressions.

Thanks!
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroFish....
Is there a less favorable ONE board ever designed?
Wide, at 59cm. tweener float, at 83 liters. Lots of tail rocker, so it doesn't go fast. Width enough to deter slashing in high winds. Swallow tail to ding the two tips.
Doesn't work well in moderate winds, doesn't work well in high winds, but is really fun in between.....
Hope to hear more comments. I have a JPFSW84 that does EVERYTHING better than the Syncro, as will every FSW from any company.
One good thing. It won't go too fast, it won't ever jump too high, and it won't slash any turns, so coupled with it's 59cm width, it's stable.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I want like 6 of those boards, but I'm already sporting 6 boards
in HR, and I don't have rack space, which means some of mine would
have to go 1st, which a glut of nice cheap used boards does not really
help. ;*)

-Craig
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks zirtaeb, maybe the real wind, rrd or others?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
Thanks for the link Isobars. I am looking for a high wind board, already have an 85L JP FSW which i like, but I need something smaller for 3.0- 4.5. I weigh about 150lbs. Have you any experience with Real Wind, or the Mistral Syncro fish? If so I'd like to hear your impressions.

So many options, so many personal preferences, so few specifics … but here are some thoughts. Keep in mind that Zirtaeb is far more experienced and perceptive than I. (Guys praise their ordinary Synchros for a great ride, but the Fish model in particular I know nothing about.)

First, I’m biased very strongly towards boards that respond instantly at full speed to heel’n’toe pressure at the strapped-in back foot. That’s hard to find in the shortwide boards so common since about 2008. I liked everything else -- ride, speed, jibing, etc. -- about the Real Winds I demo’ed several years ago, but they weren’t as responsive (many people would say squirrely, so beware of my bias) as I like. BIG HOWEVER, though … I don’t recall which model I rode. It was a small high wind board, so may well have been the 250/72L models Windance has.

The magazines often say about wave boards that, for high-wind B&J applications, they are slow to plane, have limited upwind ability, and are for lightweights because of those limits. To that I say, “rig bigger and enjoy their superior control in gnarly crap IF THEY ARE OF THE OLDER (pre-2008 or so) SLIGHTLY NARROWER DESIGNS”. Sure, slalom boards do those things better than wave boards, but not powered up in 3.0 to 4.5 conditions unless your name is Dale Cook.

Second, I gotta have a smooth ride in chop. The Real Wind definitely had that, but it is not a common feature of JPs, especially when pushed in chop. I chose my 2006 78L JPFSW carefully (vs its other years) for its turning prowess and ride in its midrange, where it’s fun and relatively smooth, but I quickly go to other boards, even if at the same or slightly larger volume, if the wind or chop build substantially. My 2008 80L Naish Wave 1111 is smoother even when driven hard on a 3.7 (I wouldn’t try it hammered on a 3.2) and my 83L 2005 Quatro Wave is still smooth and extremely fast @ 3.7 and the accompanying chop. The Quatro is faster and smoother, but generates fewer surprises in really harsh terrain.

For the Gorge (often plenty of wind, plus current most places to help keep it upwind), that 68L Kauli Pro would be an excellent ride for the wind range you mention, but I don’t know what your conditions are like in or around CT. If it’s wavy and not just chop, and the holes aren’t too severe (it’s not an early planer, but then your primary goal is likely control in big winds and terrain), that may still be a very good choice. Other New England Yankees here claim they prefer something like 5.0s and 90 liters at 40 kts, but I still don’t believe their wind is that strong out on the water; that’s 2.8s and 65 liters for the small handful of larger experts who would even try to sail 45 mpg average winds in the Gorge. I sure as hell wouldn’t since I saw 50 in my rear view mirror; I like my knees too much to risk those few hours per year.

Given Windance’s current dearth of boards in the sizes you seek (they apparently pared their inventory significantly in preparation for this flood of boards), and the fact that I’ve not ridden these Angulos, your 3.0-4.5 choices are limited here. Many of the smaller Jericoaracoa boards here would work well enough at 4.5, but would be a major and harsh handful anywhere near 3.0 even at my 190#, let alone your 150.

I notice you’re considering mostly the boards under $400. Whether that’s due to budget or to unwillingness to gamble on boards you can’t try out is immaterial; it makes good sense either way considering your distant location. If I know for a fact that I’ll love some board I’ll pay what it takes, but if my primary performance sources are magazines and voices on the internet, I’m far less willing to pay real money for it.

Regarding swallow tails, I have at least three. Whether it’s the tail or the overall shape I don’t know, but I absolutely LOVE them. They behave as advertised, in that they slash insanely at any (fast) speed, without bounce. Sure, they have two vulnerable points at the back, but I don’t rest my board tails on rocks so I don’t care. My ‘98 Mistral Wave 253 77L swallowtail flat frickin’ flies across big gnarly Gorge crap, scaring my heart into my throat all day long when I should be on a 3.0 rather than the 3.7 I’m on, slashing as though I was much smoother water with much less sail. Windance had three of them for months at $110-$200, so I snapped up a spare after trying one out. If I break off a nose (long, narrow, and vulnerable) or swallowtail, I can just switch boards. Even with ~$100 shipping charges (?) to you, you aren’t gambling much on a well-recommended ~$200 board like that Kauli Pro or maybe the 72L Starboard Wave. The former is a slashy marvel according to a bud with one and to the mags, and the Starboard Wave got solid, if slightly lesser, reviews.

Sorry about all the vague generalities, but I’m just not familiar enough first hand with the Kauli, the Angulos, those Starboards, etc. to comment strongly on them. A Maui/Gorge bud your size (WhiteSalmonMike here) loves his Angulo Changos ($499 at Windance), and the mag tests agree, their only complaint being its planing power (guys, it’s 72 liters; get over it). They rated it for 3.2 to 4.7 … close enough. Besides, one tester said it “turns like 73 liters, planes like 85”. I love my older, single-fin RRD 50 Wave, but haven’t tried their newer twin or quads yet.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinky --- are ya up for a 500 mile (each way) road trip to get an excellent board, or can ya wait for its owner to bring it closer on his way to Hatteras? If so, check out that 2003 70L Starboard Acid Wave in Midhurst, Ontario in iW's classifieds.

Excerpt:
<<Description
2003 Starboard Acid Wave, 70L, excellent condition (almost new).
246cm Length - 52cm Width, 20cm Drake Fin. Pro
Wood Construction. Fantastic board to have in your
back pocket for those nuclear days. Have sailed this
board on a 4.0 up to a 5.2 comfortably. Slim design
allows it to slice through chop like a hot knife
through butter. Used it predominately in the waves
where it shines, though my most memorable
session was a 35MPH / 4.0 bump and jump day in
Hatteras. Great board, great price!>>

I thought it might be a good prospect, so I called a bud your size who won't sail anything but Starboards. He supported my impression that while it might be just a bit larger than ideal when powered hard in true 3.0 conditions, it would be a wonderful board for the 3.0 to 4.5 range in the real world (mix of waves and B&J, chop, good winds and bad, especially if planing though holes is more useful than total comfort on a gusty/holey 3.0 day. WSMag's tests of that board's 66L and 77L siblings gave it very high marks in comfort, handling, wide and tight turns, both wave and B&J performance. Its only ding was the usual wave board complaint: "It's not especially fast." To that I say three things:
1. Rig bigger.
2. How fast do ya wanna go when hammered in a real-world mix of overhead chop, swell, and/or waves?
3. In conditions like #2, speed is very highly dependent on control, nerve, and skill. Nerve and skill come with practice, while comfort comes naturally with (most) wave boards. I blow by countless B&J boards touted for their speed on my wave boards, simply because I'm (usually) relaxed, I trust my keepers* not to pearl, and I rig big.

* Any wave board that pearls, pounds in chop, isn't comfortable WFO in big gusts, or wants me to take out my back foot and put it in the jibe spot just to slash is not a keeper. This rules out most of the shortwides for me. I don't get to choose smooth faces or moderate winds.

I have not ridden the Starboard Acid Wave, but everything I read, hear, and see tells me it -- and this fresh one in particular -- may be an excellent choice for you, depending on how important an ideal match for solid, steady 3.0 conditions is for you. I've loved 65L Gorge Animal Bonzers for many years from 2.8 to 5.0, but a) shore's never very far away in the Gorge, b) I was <65, c) I don't mind hopping in the water if I can't plane, and d) at many Gorge spots we can ride the escalator upwind if necessary. And while 65L will work better in harsh 3.0 conditions, the gap between a wide 84L FSW and a narrow 65L is mighty big ... some would say huge.
Nukin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there goes the used market Hood River. Thanks to Windance nobody is going to get more than $750 for a board or $200 for a sail no matter it's condition. And what wiil swap meets be like when Windance rolls out all of their used stuff. By the way do.we really need six swap.meets this summer?

Last edited by Nukin on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like you just registered to make this observation.

I see your point on flooding the market with boards and sails, ahmmm

all former rental gear.

Windance is in the business of selling gear, no one could begrudge them the opportunity to do so, anymore than they could you

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars, Many thanks for all of your advice! I have my eye on a board closer to where I live. It's an '06 RRD wave cult 76L. I think this should work well for me with sails in the 3.5-5.5 range. Probably not ideal with a 3.0 though. It's not something I'll get to use much, but do need for those days when my 84L FSW feels too big. I hear that the RRD boards have a smooth ride that my 61 year old knees will appreciate!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: