myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fiberspar Masts 4800 vs 7200
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaguilar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Fiberspar Masts 4800 vs 7200 Reply with quote

Any comments on the Fiberspar 4800 (75% carbon)? Windsurfing-Direct has a good deal on them but I don't know how good they are compared to the 7200 (100% carbon). Would like to save the money if not much difference. Question
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer a non 100% carbon, so 75% is fine.

Fiberspar are no longer being IMPORTED // sold here, so this is old stock, not meaning anything is wrong with it.

Both the ones I HAD were great.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had more than 20 new Fiberspars, and more than 15 used ones, since they started in the late '80's.
If you don't crash, use race sails, or cammed freeride, go for 100%.
If you crash, wave sail, or sail it in high winds, even 70% is super lightweight, not too durable. This is not true with RDM's, but only with SDM's.
Carbon is very prone to breakage from impacts, like from smacking onto the deck of your board, or you dropping it inadvertantly. The more fiberglass percentage, the tougher the mast becomes against catastrophic impact.
If you have to ask, my less carbon percentage.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reflex 4800 is a great mast for sails not intended for top racing in overpowered conditions. It works in the so-called detuned race sails very well as well as more moderate RAF sails. You might even find some love for it in certain freestyle sails.

The Reflex 7000 is a very high-end mast that was leaps and bounds beyond the Reflex 6000. It was made with very high modulus carbon fibers and was one of the few masts in FW length that wasn't breaking left and right. It's painted silver and tends to stay cooler to the touch and in the sail than other masts.

If you don't have pure racing sails, perhaps you will find the R4800 a better compromise. But consider the R6000 for any fully-cammed sail that will match the stiffness and bend curve.

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my masts are Powerex RDM 80% ( I think, might be 70%) and they're great masts, but I have 1 100% Naish firestick, and that mast
is magic. Maybe it's more the bend curve, but I swear that mast
causes the rig to react faster to gusts, and lulls.

Just say'n,

-Craig
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:

Fiberspar are no longer being IMPORTED // sold here, so this is old stock, not meaning anything is wrong with it.

So, I'm curious... from all you that have kept up with model years, etc.
What year did Fiberspar have the 4800 QT 75% mast??
Approximate guesses?
If it's old... is there any reason to be concerned... like, if it's been "kicking around in warehouses" all this time?

And, they only have the 460 available... still $300 sounds like a pretty good deal. I've had 100% 460's break on me before, using 55% now... considering this 75% close-out mast.
Thanks, Greg -
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if there is a lot of similarity, but I have a 430cm Fiberspar QT Reflex Wave mast that I bought in 1998 that is 75% carbon. It has been a very stout mast that has proven to be very durable overall, especially for a SDM. It could be that the 4800 is just a renamed version of the Reflex Wave.

Before buying the 75% Fiberspar mast, if you can, I would recommend rigging up your sail(s) on it. I only say that because its bend curve may not be optimum for your sails. My Reflex Wave worked very well for a number of my Windwing sails made from 1998 through 2003, but when I bought a 2004 Windwing Hammer it didn't work at all. I think that it was because the Hammer had a more pronounced luff curve shape that became more popular with sail designers about that time. From what I can discern, the Fiberspar is a bit stiffer in the base.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:

So, I'm curious... from all you that have kept up with model years, etc.
What year did Fiberspar have the 4800 QT 75% mast??
Approximate guesses?
If it's old... is there any reason to be concerned... like, if it's been "kicking around in warehouses" all this time?

And, they only have the 460 available... still $300 sounds like a pretty good deal. I've had 100% 460's break on me before, using 55% now... considering this 75% close-out mast.
Thanks, Greg -

Iam not carbon expert. But would think that its age would start once it gets into sunlight and in use with a sail, nor prior.
My concern would be the internet company would stand behind its product when the product isn't imported, OR consider it as price priority and a great deal for a new mast

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks U2. Very good points.
But anyway, I ordered one a few days ago.

I trust Fiberspar. Certainly in the last decade, all the masts have become very reliable as far as I'm concerned. Yes, things still happen... but it's not like it was in the early 90's when carbon masts started.

Of course, you've always had to be very careful with them, as far as making contact with other hard surfaces... I've got no problem with that.

Thanks jaguilar, for the "head's up" about it !!
Greg Smile
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a carbon expert myself but lets breakdown a few basics:

Everything degrades over time, but 6 years lying flat on a shelf and evenly supported will not cause any meaningful issues for any sort of windsurfing mast. Hot warehouses have no effect on masts unless the temp is way above boiling anyway. The masts are heat cured in high temp ovens for the most part.

The only concerns would be clear evidence of damage or mismatched and ill-fitting top and bottom sections. Also, make sure you get the proper plastic end cap for your particular sails.

Any latent construction or damage issues will show themselves in the first few hours. After that, the mast should be golden and subject to failure only from damage and normal wear and tear during your ownership.

Last year I sailed some of my FS racing masts R7000 and R6000 that were 9 and 12 years old, respectively. Each have seen hundreds of hours of hard use but also TLC when being handled and stored. I saw no difference since each was new. Back in the day of 50% and 60% carbon race masts, yes, those masts aged with use, becoming less responsive and acted like a stiffer mast. Not the higher carbon race masts we see today, at least not like you or I should truly notice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: