myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Want to try wave sailing this season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Sitings Reply with quote

Hi loopy,

When you have had these sitings, are you on your board out in the water or from the beach? Are you surfing, windsurfing or diving?

What kind of proximity to the shark?

Is it a surpise or was something happening that made you look in the particular area to have the siting?

Windward1
svenvil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me help with some beginner stuff.

Make sure your board and sail are pointed in the right direction when you walk into the water. Don't let your board get turned sideways when you are waiting for a good time to step on. When going through or over a wave go a little downwind right before, rake your sail back right before and as you go over, and get ready to push your sail forward after you go over. Hopefully don't rinse but repeat.

If you fall and can't get on your board quick enough swim the top of your mast towards the breaking waves and try to sink it a couple of feet and hold on if possible. You are probably going to wash in unless you see a chance to get back up.

Do not try transitions in the impact zone unless you are very good at them. Ride all of the way to the beach or try them in shallower water if the waves aren't slamming there.

The pivot gybe and quick tack are your best weapons in the surf

You don't have to be in the straps to ride the wave. Start with front foot in and back foot out and progress to both in.

Don't take a wave someone is on upwind of you unless it is an emergency. As you get better there might be a legitimate reason to do this. Until then try not to.

Good luck
loopy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitings Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hi loopy,

When you have had these sitings, are you on your board out in the water or from the beach? Are you surfing, windsurfing or diving?

What kind of proximity to the shark?

Is it a surpise or was something happening that made you look in the particular area to have the siting?

Windward1

all were while windsurfing. proximity to beach varied, but they were all within where the waves were starting to form, some were inside the impact zone. proximity to shark also varied, but closest was probably 10 yds. not looking in any particular direction. they pop up wherever they want. oh, and to be clear, these are all just fin sitings, but they're not dolphins. there's a couple from natural bridges too, though we're guessing they're the smaller variety of sharks.
xoxota

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poussin wrote:
Thanks everyone for such a great level of responses and good advise.
Now it's time to get out there and do it!

If I survive, I'll post the experience of my first butt-kicking, so that you can all have a good laugh!

Thanks again.

Very Happy

Greg

^^^^^
Love this attitude. You are going to do great. Go get your ass kicked in a smart way for your level. I remember my first day at waddell. Sailed out one run, my forearms cramping, scared as hell, made it back to the beach and you couldn't wipe the shit eating grin off my face. Great day. Don't be afraid to crash and look like an idiot. I never was and it worked out pretty well.

bottomturncostco.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.91 MB
 Viewed:  15235 Time(s)

bottomturncostco.jpg

trburl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exxxxxactly xoxota.

Go where there are people Greg, stay out of their way, study their movements first, and then follow xoxota's directions.

Just don't follow those directions at an empty beach. Whether it's the Warden, an old fishing net, or any number of Zirtaeb's superfluous mentions, the point of the advice is to not go it alone, isolated.

You know, like Life.......

I'd probably make damn sure to go to Waddell during the American Windsurfing Tour and watch that as well. What you will learn in a day's worth of studying while so many skills levels are present, is like cliff notes for Wavesailing 101. You will see the Do's and Don't, clearly.

Not to mention, windsurfing feels alive and well there during the AWT. You might even see some people that don't have your skill set giving it a shot and be inspired to go all in on xoxota's plan, which again, is the best one yet mentioned on this thread.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing in the waves is a different animal, it requires commitment, much more than other venues.

If you are going to try the waves every once in awhile, it could take a long time to get comfortable out there.
California is generally much tougher than Kanaha. At most beaches, Arroyo Laguna included, even when it's small, the waves are right there, in your face, before you've even launched.

At Kanaha, you launch in flat water, then sail out to the waves, but not here, you even have to get good at controlling your rig and board when you are standing in knee deep water, while its swirling all around you. That's a skill in itself.

So give yourself lots of time, many days in a row will do you a lot better than 'every now and then'.
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've been biting my tongue for a while, but here I go:
1. Hopefully, you own a skinny mast. If not, buy one;
2. Buy some good quality sail tape;
3. Yes, you will fall (a lot). That is a given. What happens after is what counts. First, if you can, hold onto your gear and keep your feet in the straps. You won't get clocked by your gear with both hands on the booms and feet in the straps. If one foot pops loose, get your other foot out fast to avoid injury. If you still have a grip on booms, keep your arms extended so you don't get hit by your board or fin. If all is lost, cover your head and go fetal, relax and hold your breath. Don't pop up right away, you might get clocked by your rig. After that, swim like a mother fucker and try to catch your rig before it goes on the rocks.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
OK, I've been biting my tongue for a while, but here I go:
1. Hopefully, you own a skinny mast. If not, buy one;
2. Buy some good quality sail tape;
3. Yes, you will fall (a lot). That is a given. What happens after is what counts. First, if you can, hold onto your gear and keep your feet in the straps. You won't get clocked by your gear with both hands on the booms and feet in the straps. If one foot pops loose, get your other foot out fast to avoid injury. If you still have a grip on booms, keep your arms extended so you don't get hit by your board or fin. If all is lost, cover your head and go fetal, relax and hold your breath. Don't pop up right away, you might get clocked by your rig. After that, swim like a mother fucker and try to catch your rig before it goes on the rocks.

LOL,,, that's a pretty picture.
You forgot the shark.
poussin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the support.
And,.... uh......what sharks? Wink

Cool
Greg
dperzinski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if others concur, but I find getting out the toughest part.
What works for me: When encoutering a wave (both white water and peaking), lean back and put pressure on the back of the board so that the nose of your board just gets barely over the white water, as edscott said.
Then when your through the impact of the wave, push everything forward, your sail, your body. I usually don't hook in when punching out. If your harness is hooked in and you move that sail forward after the wave hits, you'll go down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: