myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Leak Discovered @ Hanford
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: New Leak Discovered @ Hanford Reply with quote

Uh oh.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2013/02/15/hanford-tank-leaking-perfect-radioactive-storm-inslee/

westender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought everything leaked out of the old single wall tanks long ago but this is probably worse.

Edit: Ok I was exaggerating. A 1998 study found 1 million gallons had leaked but could have been 6 to 10 million gallons leaked.

http://www.hanfordchallenge.org/the-big-issues/tank-waste/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet most of you want MORE government control, oversight, and interference in your lives? You want your health care, your economy, your own family finances, your personal freedoms, your Constitutional rights, et.al. micromanaged and/or even stomped on by even dumber people -- if possible -- than the high-paid* and highly educated engineers and lawyers running the Hanford cleanup? I flat don't understand that.

* I recently saw another report claiming that federal civilian and military employees are paid more than their civilian counterparts. That's an outright lie. It compares across-the-board gross average pay scales and educations, not same-pay-same-job data. E.g., Hell, yes, a lady with a degree in basket weaving will make a helluva lot more money flying an F-16 in combat than she would weaving baskets. OTOH, a civil service or military guy managing a billion-dollar R&D program for the DoD will earn 1/4 to 1/3 what his private sector counterpart will.

BTW, here's much more information on this leak and Hanford's larger tank problem, from the local newspaper, which keeps a pretty close watch on Hanford.
http://tinyurl.com/c3pmqel .
The main thing we don't see in print is the absolute incompetence of the DOE (which runs Hanford); it's a joke compared to the DoD according to people who have worked for and with both. The DoD is perfection, relatively speaking. What does THAT say about the DOE?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please ignore the Great Constantly Outraged One. He just can't seem to resist, despite his manic front-end screening machine.

The mighty Columbia might still be a fun recreation spot, but we all know it doesn't take much damage to further risk our health. My own experience there in the early and mid 90's came equipped with many bouts of so-called River Nose as well as GI distress directly from ingesting some water. I'm unsure how prevalent the sinus problems are today, but it go so bad during one summer with my friends and I that at least two weeks of work were lost between the three of us.

Radioactive and toxic leaks will kill off Hanford before finally doing in the Columbia, made all the worse by the dams behind which settle the dirt and dust that picks up the isotopes and hard metals. I shudder to think what steps must or even can be taken to secure that sediment before the dams must eventually be removed.

I'm grateful that interested people keep Hanford's feet to the fire because this helps those employed at Hanford to stand up and get things done for the good of the Columbia and the people using the river or living nearby.

westender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't we borrow more money from China? It could be Off the Books.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/250-lose-jobs-at-Hanford-site-cleanup-likely-to-be-slowed-198902461.html
scorpionfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thank goodness for the sequestration then. The 'less is better' crowd will delight in the lay offs & furloughs of 1000 or so Hanford cleanup workers that is forthcoming. Why should we waste money on that? Leave your political swayings out of this windsurfing forum.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpionfish wrote:
Leave your political swayings out of this windsurfing forum.

Dan brought up Hanford because of its potential impact on all of us who use the Columbia River for recreation, just as others have discussed the coal train threat to the air quality in the Gorge. Those sound to me like legitimate topics for a WSing forum. Unfortunately, however, Hanford, the Columbia, coal, and politics are inseparable.
scorpionfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree without question. But don't deign to know what most people want please.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpionfish wrote:
don't deign to know what most people want please.

I don't "deign" anything. The last presidential vote defined what most want.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is concerning. Iso, have you checked to be sure you don't glow in the dark...just kidding. Hanford storage facility seems like a time bomb unless they get their act together fast Shocked

May 4 article about new (2016) confirmed leak and 33 ill workers at Hanford:
https://weather.com/news/news/nuclear-waste-leak-continues

April 27 info from KATU news:
http://katu.com/news/local/hanford-seeks-possible-leak-in-2nd-double-walled-tank-04-27-2016
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: