myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tencate TC Leaper help...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rascal999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Tencate TC Leaper help... Reply with quote

I have an old Tencate TC Leaper. Im a beginner and the connector at the bottom of the sail has a rubber piece that is breaking. Attached is a picture. Any advice on fixing it?

20130324_124044.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.38 MB
 Viewed:  18986 Time(s)

20130324_124044.jpg

gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
If I recall, that's a board from the 80's.
Some 80's boards had very good shapes... but, they didn't have the manufacturing process down very well yet. AND, the components were not very good yet. These things all got WAY better in the 90's.

Anyway, sorry... I don't have any solutions for you. Although others here at iwindsurf may.

But, I can give you another resource. Try posting this question at www.lbwindsurfing.com "LongBoardWindsurfing". This site was very popular up until about a year ago... and may be coming back. Anyway, it's a world-wide site for windsurfing that focuses on longboards.
And somebody there, probably owns this board... and or, you might get ideas there on how to resolve this issue.
Good luck, Greg Smile
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just read your post again, and realized this Tencate is probably not the longboard I was thinking about.

Since the name of your board is "Leaper"... it's probably a shortboard Smile

Anyway, still... the mastbase style you have pictured, was used by many brands in the 80's... different types, but similar.

So guys at lbwindsurfing... may still have ideas to help you... cause many of them have put lotas of effort into keeping 80's boards going.
Personally, I'm lazy... and 90's boards work way better and are much more reliable.
Greg -
mark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The below link has an old Tencate brochure showing several Leaper models. Double click on the particular brochure and it will increase in size and be easier to read.

http://hitthewave.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/windsurfing-brochures-ads-80s-90s/

Because of the age there will be no direct replacement part for the mast base you are showing. However you may be able to adapt a new style mast base and extension to your board. Please post some more detailed pictures of the mast base in particular the underside where it attaches to the board. Also take a picture of the board where the base attaches.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link - thanks for posting it !!
I've seen this a few times before... but always fun, for those that were windsurfing then, to look through it again Smile

And yeah, the TC Leaper is a longboard. A smaller vol model at 200L, but still a longboard.
And yes, it's an 80's board.

And hey the TenCate ad, might be one of the best, "Le Hot Fun" Smile
Greg -
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use a length of old rope, knotted on the top and on the bottom half of your parts.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy found this TenCate video a few weeks back, and we were all laughing about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy8crxsVHoA&feature=player_embedded
I'm a retro dude at times so have fun!

Do Not just throw a rope around it....that thing is going to fail real soon, and failure is not an option (that is safe unless you are on a small lake).
you need to retrofit a secure system to get a mast anchored to the board....alot of the makers had their own non-standardized systems, but i think that's a spring clip that might fit an old Mistral base

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"throw a rope around it" ..... are you kidding?
Read my post again, try to understand what you read.
1/2" water resistant cord lasts almost as long as a rubber joint, fit's thru the holes on the mast extension and mast base, held by a simple knot.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb, I read your post... and thought, good idea. And was going to reply, saying exactly that... and include this - "yes, good idea if there's good accerss to both parts so you can get a knotted line in there." And was going to add, "but don't use an "old rope"... us a new one, LOL Smile

Anyway, I didn't post... cause I didn't want to add any misunderstanding or tension.
Anyway, I think outcast knows that as well. But was probably saying what he did, because your suggestion said "old rope"... and was seen as somewhat "casual". I think he's trying to say, that this is not a casual situation... it's a VERY important connection... and should be fixed or replaced carefully to insure reliability.

Since none of us know each other... and beginner sailors don't have any of the experience that you do... Then, if we want to be helpful, words or advice should be chosen carefully.
Personally, I love to be sarcastic, or casual or funny... and try to be, when chatting with friends who know me. But in a public forum where most people don't know each other... well, I think we have to be more careful.
Or, if there's no time for that... then wait till there is... cause casual email can lead to much confusion between those who don't know each other.
Greg Smile
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, nobody gave a viable answer to the OP (original poster's) question until I chimed in.
Second, OP can ask for further explanation.
Third, this way, we can test OP's intuitive knowledge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: