myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
kanaha wind in june

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: kanaha wind in june Reply with quote

Am planning on taking my son to maui June 1 to 8 to learn to windsurf,and was thinking this is a steady and pretty consistent time for wind. I was looking at the historical data on this site, and it shows maybe 17 or 18 days per month, on average, but that is not what I see when I go back and look at the actual data.

....I thought summer was flat and more consistent with regard to both days of wind and speed??
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Many here have WAY more experience windsurfing Maui than I do... but, nobody's responded to your question yet... so, I'll chime in Smile

I've sailed there in the summer 3 times (years ago)... and yes, what you're saying is what I've always understood to be true as well.

That is.. that in the summer, you're more likely to get many sailable days, compared to other times of the year... but that, the water will be flatter, meaning "way less" big waves.

So, it'll probably be perfect for what you want. I also recall that the wind's often lighter in the morning and stronger in the afternoon (can be similar to a typical summer Gorge day, in that regard).

Of course, like the Gorge (or anywhere else in the world)... you can get skunked, so be prepared (and be realistic).
But hey, Maui's not a bad place to "get skunked" at Smile
Have fun, Greg -
ldhr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer = most reliable strong trade winds. No waves,
Winter = less reliable winds. Lots of waves.
Spring and Fall - best chance to score both.

If I had to pick best month to teach someone to windsurf - it would be any month from May - October.
jgda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think this will be perfect time...pending wind. It may be boring for me, but gotta bite the bullet sometime. I have always gone in April..i.e., wind and waves....who knows maybe I will get luck a day or two...

thanks to both,

m
skyhigh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: wind at kanaha Reply with quote

jgda wrote:
Yes, I think this will be perfect time...pending wind. It may be boring for me, but gotta bite the bullet sometime. I have always gone in April..i.e., wind and waves....who knows maybe I will get luck a day or two...

thanks to both,

m

Yes, i think your right, Don't worry, there will be plenty of wind, i was there in Feb. for 12 days and it blew for 11 and the day it didn't blow it was kitable!Have a great time with your son and have a fun and safe trip!
skyhigh
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

June is usually very windy. Kanaha can be pretty bumpy mid-afternoon
but flat for swell, unless you get a south swell.
Check the:
http://www.mauiraceseries.com/
For an idea of conditions

I just got back....Maui: No ka oi

loosescrew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last June we had a couple of ground swells come in which was awesome. It's crazy but its been windy in Maui consistently for the past 2 years. However, this March we haven't had wind for about 3 weeks but in February I sailed every day. June usually has strong wnd and relatively flat but choppy. There seems to always be a little bump at Uppers and Camp One and sometimes we will get a good size on-shore wind swell at middle uppers. Maybe you are better off going to Hood River and the Hook?
vbr1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
June is usually very windy. Kanaha can be pretty bumpy mid-afternoon
but flat for swell, unless you get a south swell.
Check the:
http://www.mauiraceseries.com/
For an idea of conditions

I just got back....Maui: No ka oi

when was the last time Kanaha received a south swell ffs ?
Very Happy
jgda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: june wind Reply with quote

Well, I am booked so I will let you all know what the conditions were like after I get back. I am sooo glad I did not go spring break as the wind was a bit down...with lots of rain.

I keep thinking there might be some small wind wave that might develop at hookipa? However, we shall see....

I could have gone in April, but this trip is really for the kid to learn....

cheers,
m
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: