myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Non-skid or traction pad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job! You even matched the pads colour to the mud colour ?! Laughing just teasing you they look great!
Not so sure about the traction paint on the nose though. It may scratch your sails if you are uphauling a lot. You can put there a nose protector to protect the sails and the nose. I have one on all my boards. NSI make them.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sanded my board noses down nice and shiny to protect the sail before I began padding the nose to protest it from the mast. Traction paint on the nose works just the opposite: abrasion without protection.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the mud test and the pads were super grippy. Much better than the monster paint non skid. Comfy too. I think i will change out the remaining pads under the straps eventually. They seem totally lame compared to the new ones.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH, I like the contrast as is. Too much of one color looks overdone, IMHO. My wife has a strong and educated sense of colors and design, and says colors look best in groups of three. You have green, white, and black already. Lay a scrap of green over one of the existing OEM pads and see what you think.

Your OEM pads look well padded where needed and have some texture for grip, but if that material is slippery, function would trump appearance. IF YOU WEAR BOOTIES, though, they might get "trapped" between a strap and waffle pads. Not good.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Iso

It was the lack of traction on the old pads not necessarily the look that makes me want to change them out.

NSI offers a dual density option that i may put where the straps are.

Have you ever replaced the strap pads? Just wondering about the best way to cut the screw holes.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done everything I can imagine regarding pads, with every kind of material I can think of. If I want greater thickness or maximum simplicity, I'll lay new pads over the old, either whole coverage or just beneath my heels.

If I don't want more thickness, I'll slice/peel off the old ones with a razor-blade-on-a-stick-style scraper or even a simple box cutter by lifting an edge to create tension in the adhesive so it cuts and lifts easily. There's no need to get the deck clean if using contact cement because it will fill in the rough surface, but with self-stick pads I'll take extra care to get the deck cleaner. I'd definitely use dual density pads if removing the old ones, for both deck and foot/knee protection.

If I don't mind or actually want extra thickness (such as on a board with a weak deck or on a board I plan to jump a lot), I may lay single or even double density pads over the original pads. This will leave little air gaps around the edges of the new pads, which I seal with the Welder's adhesive so water can't work its way in there.

For screw hole access I just cut out a square for full, easy access. That big square hole lets lets you find the screw holes easily, lets the strap get down to the deck for a solid connection, and fights strap twist, and the strap base covers the hole so no one sees it. Its only drawback is with really thick padding, and only if that makes the straps too tight to admit de feet.

I cut my new pads pretty simply with a razor knife/box cutter held at an angle to bevel the cut so the edges aren't lifted by spray or snagged on racks/bags,etc. To cut them, I lay the material on something I don't mind getting sliced a bit ... heavy cardboard, a piece of plywood, my mother-in-law's dining room table, the hood of my neighbor's car, etc.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers iso
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Hey Iso: another pad question Reply with quote

FYI: for future pad installers Iso lays the bead of goop down after pad is installed with peel and stick. For some reason i was thinking of putting the bead down on the bottom edge of the pad prior to laying down, which would have made for some mess and difficulty installing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: