myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New fin - waste of money?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: New fin - waste of money? Reply with quote

I have a JP X-Cite ride 145L board (76cm width) that I use with my Ezzy Lion 9.5M on lower wind days- last year I used the 48cm freeride fin which came with the board and it worked reasonably well. True Ames makes a sweeper fin in 54cm for power box which per their website is ideal for 7.5-9.5 which are the two sails I will be using this summer. Anyone think this will improve my light-wind planing or will the difference be negligible? Also, can a powerbox really handle that long of a fin without damage?

I was also thinking I might be able to get a bit more upwind in marginal planing conditions.

For lower wind I have two longboards and am considering picking up a Formula board so I have other options but if the longer fin would help I might hold off on Formula for awhile.

Thanks for the input
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider,

I'd be surprised if you don't get more upwind drive with the larger fin. Still though, a lot depends on the fin's outline and flex characteristics. I'm not familiar with the TA Sweeper, but when I bumped up from a 46cm Tectonics Spitfire to a 50cm Tectonics Mirage, I noticed a marked improvement, both in early planing and upwind drive. The sails I was using were in the 8.1-8.3 range.

Regarding the use of 54cm fin with a Powerbox base, it could be viewed as pushing the margin a bit. Usually, at that length, Deep Tuttle bases are pretty much the call. Just to be careful, it would be wise to keep an eye on the finbox for hairline cracks.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure the width of the board where the back footstraps are- about one foot from the tail.

It's generally counterproductive to use a fin length in excess of that width.

My hunch is that you're not going to want to exceed ~50 cm.

3-phase

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new "good" Fin is not a waste of money. A well designed fin will enhance your sailing at a pretty low cost.

http://www.select-hydrofoils.com/en/fins/
some great info as well explanation about profile, flex and twist.

http://www.windsurfdeal.com/?link=7&lang=0
place to order.

You can order bigger fins with power box but it will create stress on your fin box. Above 40-45 cm Tuttle is ideal.

Aloha
Jurg
www.windsurfdeal.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without your weight its a guess... if you are around 175lbs, then

the area of the TA Sweeper 48cm is close to these:

Maui Ultra Fin, slalom 52cm

or Black Project Fins freeride at 47cm in length
the fin is very important in the whole rig performance, you will get more performance from a better one

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I weigh 175-180lbs. I haven't measured the board width under the straps and the board isn't here so I can't measure it now but I will the next time I'm at the lake.

U2U2 - The fin that came with the board looks to be of good quality but I don't have any way to judge - are you saying that these fins you suggest are necessarily "better" than the stock fin.

Jurg - I have looked at the Select fins and at your site - not sure what in the range would be suitable - there seems to be more there for slalom or formula than for a freeride board in the lengths I was looking for but I realize I'm trying to take a larger freeride board and make it work like a formula board so there is going to be a bit of a mismatch with some compromises - I have considered the slam XL in 53-55 cm but again I'm concerned about this length of fin with a power box.

I should also mention that I have a TA Blade Weed II 43cm with huge area but it doesn't seem to plane any earlier than the stock 48cm freeride fin - maybe this tells me that I'm planing as early as I can expect with this board/sail combo?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weed fins are designed to shed weeds as a primary purpose.

for everything else they lose out to slalom, pointers ,wave et all fins, because they are a compromise of character, I use them when necessary, expect some minus in turns

YES: those fins will be better than the Cobra produced fin that came with your board. please note that the newer fins from Cobra are quite acceptable , its just like the tires that came on your new car, acceptable, better ones exist.

if upwind is the primary goal, then a race/pointer is the way to go, a swept type like the TA sweeper will turn somewhat better, less a upwind weapon.

with our equipment its always a comprise of what you want MOST of.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll feel some improvement espatially for going higher upwind. Will it be worth the money? Depends how high your expectations are.
I have a JP SS 79 with a 50 cm stock pb race fin. I use it exclusively wit a 9.0 Retro. The combo gets planing around 10mph wind and starts tail walking around 18 mph. I am 170 lbs.I think a simmilar fin will work for you too and I don't adwise you going any bigger then this or you may get uncomfortable back leg pressure among other ills.
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, for gybing I will be in stronger wind and then I think the stock 48cm freeride fin will be fine and probably get used more with the 7.5M sail.

For this new fin I am looking for better upwind and early planing if possible and not so concerned about ease of turning.

Adywind - thanks for the suggestion - maybe a 50-51 is all I need to notice an improvement rather than going 53-55.
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:

Adywind - thanks for the suggestion - maybe a 50-51 is all I need to notice an improvement rather than going 53-55.

Get a race type one and don't worry, you'll be gybing just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: