myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Board Request (redesign the vent screw head)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btbill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing Board Request (redesign the vent screw head) Reply with quote

Just thought of something while I was out solo today in the parking lot at Coquina Beach figuring out how to close a phillips head vent screw with a multi-tool that did not have a phillips head driver (in my haste to get out the door following a work meeting to go sailing (blowing S near 30mph all afternoon on the OBX today!), I forgot a phillips head screwdriver).

How about all vented windsurfing boards use a hex head that matches the size for a standard sail batten wrench?! Or perhaps a replacement vent plug could be offered that you could pay a few bucks for.

This way, only need the sail batten wrench tool that can be used for either the sail battens or board vent screw. Plus the hex head will not wear out like phillips head sometimes do, especially if you do not have the screwdriver in your truck!

thoughts?!

bb
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a sail that used a batten screw since WAY last century, but I have at least 30 Phillips head screwdrivers.
btbill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, I get new wave sails every year and they always include batten wrench.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: vent plug Reply with quote

good idea. Exclamation every sail bag i got has one Exclamation
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corner of your slotted screwdriver works just fine, as do some of your keys on your keyring.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Very good tip from Zirt !!

But also... I agree with your idea.

Most the time, I don't have to worry about it... cause most of my sails, from the early 90's have webbing and plastic buckles to tighten battens (which takes me 15 seconds, each time I rig/de-rig)... no tool required.

But I also have a couple modern sails from the last 10 years. And yes, like you say... they have allen head screws to tighten the battens.
I don't know if "most" the sails that use these, also use the same size. But YES, if they did... it would simplify things to remember.
Greg -
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I haven't had a sail that used a batten screw since WAY last century, but I have at least 30 Phillips head screwdrivers.

I also haven't messed with a vent screw since way last century, when I'd drive over the Rockies @ >7,000 feet on my way to the OR coast.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
it would simplify things to remember.

i gave up trying to remember things way last century, too. Sad
Now I just keep everything in bags or milk crates for a quick, brainless getaway. For backup, on my refrigerator is a list of everything I take, right down to my car keys (so I won't have to waste a whole minute running back to grab them.)
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: vent Reply with quote

Very Happy tool less option always works replace the slot/phillips screws with chinook thumb vent you grab it and turn it with your digits Exclamation NO TOOLS Exclamation
BritishSteve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My battern screws are 10x24 SAE size so use a 5/32" hex wrench (4mm is also pretty compatable). You have not mentioned what thread your vent screw is, I have seen many different sizes. You can buy hex drive machine screws, obviously the size of the hex drive varies with the diameter of the machine screw. The chance of the machine screw with the correct thread having the correct hex drive is pretty slim. It's probably cheaper to buy a screwdriver with multiple bits and leave it in your vehicle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: