myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona Surf, Sandy disaster board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Kona Surf, Sandy disaster board Reply with quote

This board found in a scrap heap this past week - an Exocet Kona Surf, a victim of hurricane Sandy. It's on an island - no easy way to get it to a repair shop (and no local repair shop up to the task) - likely why it was tossed. I want to repair it, but need some advice from someone more experienced.

Can I repair this satisfactorily, even if ugly?

The board is now stored inside - no work will be done to it for about a month. It didn't feel heavy, but any residual water should dry out in the mean time (with such a large opening), no?

There is no repair on the excellent BoardLady site quite like this. So I have to make up the repair with your help. My thought was to trim the edges of gash, thermoform some divinycell to the rough shape of the missing rail/top/bottom, and then make some 2-part marine foam, fill everything and tightly tape it into place. When set, sand, then use all of Eva's glassing instructions.

Or should I use the divinycell all the way through, forget the foam - layer it and trim it, glue it in place, maybe leave enough space to thermoform a layer of divinycell to the rail? Then glass? If so, what should I use to set it in place - marine foam? wWhat to glue the layers of divinycell - epoxy?

Is there another way to approach this? I don't pretend it will turn out exactly right, but I do want it to sail right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed one like this that a boat ran over. It got propped. The repair just took two afternoons. Ruthlessly cut out the broken part and put a piece of white foam in its place, using epoxy/micro balloon paste as glue. Minor voids inside are OK.
Use a small saw and rough sandpaper to shape it.
You don't need divinicell.
Glass as usual.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a styrofoam cooler (the cheap kind) and use it for foam. I would not necessarily cut out the big block that is hanging. I'd try to mate it back if most of the lamination is intact. Or, cut out the foam and reuse it as it's certainly the exact match for a large portion from whence it came.

Remember, you must use epoxy resin rather than polyester. Perhaps that is obvious to you, but I want to be clear just in case.

Figure 3 layers of glass on the bottom, and run two of those around the rail to the deck. To save weight, try to get the styrofoam as close to the finished shape as possible. Any variation will be filled with heavy epoxy. Another tip is to reduce the shape of excess styro with a knife heated with a flame. You can shape it somewhat better than hacking at it.

Wet out each layer on a piece of glass to get only a good saturation, not over-saturation. After each layer is applied, cover somewhat tightly with plastic wrap and tape down. Remove when the layup gets tacky. This will make the next layer go down more smoothly and the final layer will require less sanding.

I'd also buy the EVA deck material to finish. That really does add impact protection, something your repair probably will need anyway.

Good find, best of luck.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you use a very slow cure on the epoxy resin when applying directly to the EPS foam. if the resin cures too quickly, it will melt the foam. www.boardlady.com read her blog. memorize it. measure thrice, mix once.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, beginning to picture a repair. BoardLady had me afraid of using materials I can get my hands on - but now I think Home Depot will do just fine. Maybe some InsulPink 1.5" thick XPS sheet? and some spray foam (also closed cell) to "glue" the XPS sheet into place? Then slow cure (summer cure) epoxy with micro balloons, then glass?

Dan, you said replace the EVA - I had thought to trim the eva to a central pad on the board, but leave the rails hard for better performance. The EVA on the rails is bad all around, and though I didn't show it, there are other small repairs to the rails needed from banging around under a house when the sea washed through. EVA on the rails is the big question in my mind right now. I believe the Kona Surf is actually quite similar to the Kona 11.5" - but with dagger board and PowerBox. The 11.5 doesn't have EVA rails (I don't think). A little less float, but better performance?

Anyway, thanks to all, hope to be sailing the board by June.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the EVA foam around the rails slows early planing. since it's damaged, shave it way? 3/4 up from the bottom ought to do fine. i'd stay away from spray foam, if possible. other than the kona one, all other 11'5" hulls have had clear rails.
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree stay away from the spray foams. I wouldn't use pink foam either, I would use regular Styrofoam cut out the bad area and then use either two part expanding marine foam to glue in the new pieces or Gorilla polyurethane glue it won't melt the Styrofoam and it foams a little to fill any voids. Try it on a piece of scrap so you can see how it works. You brush on some glue and then just dampen the other piece with a damp paper towel and tape clamp the pieces together until the glue dries. Then shape and glass over using slow cure epoxy. Good luck. Hope this helps.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a big job. After a clean up, I would be tempted to layer up some sheet plastic attempting to match the original outline and then fill with 2 part foam and then shape it once hardened. then you could asses how stable it seems prior to glassing. if not stable you could cut it out and try the gluing in of solid foam pieces.

Is that yellow layer under the glass a very thin sheet of divinycel?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, what a great desert island board. does lots of stuff okay enough to max the fun factor out of one board.
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought the Pink XPS a good material: no absorption, easy to cut/shape/sand, and far stronger/more rigid than styrofoam (though maybe too rigid/brittle?). Same for spray foam - seems like it would be pretty good at filling voids, and is very strong. But will defer to experience.

Thanks again.

And yes, Fire Island is hardly a deserted Island, but the Kona Surf is a good fit for it - why I am going to make the effort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: