myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Notice of Race
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the Buzzards Bay event is a GO! Initial plans are a two-day event with packaged hotel benefits, food, drink, music and a festival celebrating windsurfing and SUP. This will be a family-friendly event focussed on participation for all. Therefore, no true crossing of the Bay this year, also due in part to pretty onerous USCG restrictions on crossing the mouth of the CC Canal. We'll deal with that next year.

What I envision will be on the model of the East Coast Wind Festival held on Long Island with a Cape Cod twist. We will do some multi-lap distance races, maybe a more traditional course race or three, and I'd love to get a creative downwinder competing directly with the SUP racers. The SUP racing will be a fully-sanctioned event, with ranking points available.

It's been many years since I last competed in the BBXing, and my time at Old Silver Beach is pretty limited, so I'll head down there next week to scope out the launch, racing area and all the possibilities. The Sea Crest Hotel is the host hotel, with all competition and events there. BTW, the Sea Crest just finished a $15mm upgrade and boasts sparkly new rooms and amenities. Check out the hotel's website: [url]seacreastbeachhotel.com[/url] to whet your whistle.

All the promo materials are in the works and I hope to announce the registration site this week. This year the fees will be intentionally bargainificent to encourage people to join us in the fun. A fat turnout will go a long way to returning the BBXing back to full glory for next year, with a much bigger bash in mind.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for voicing support and enthusiasm.

outcast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all those working on it.
I certainly not gonna tell the organizers what course to set.

Evans and I are committed to try and get a tandem board around the bouys somehow

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
Thanks to all those working on it.

Evans and I are committed to try and get a tandem board around the bouys somehow

No need to be shy, Outcast! You and JE can meet Eddie at the beach and tell him what you want in order to win the three foot tall silver cup to be awarded to the best in class!

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Weiss wrote:
OK, the Buzzards Bay event is a GO! Initial plans are a two-day event with packaged hotel benefits, food, drink, music and a festival celebrating windsurfing and SUP

Great! I love the ECWF, so it's great to have a similar event on the Cape again. I trust that there will be an option without the hotel for those who live on the Cape or stay with friends for the weekend.

Two suggestions:
- Include a freestyle event. That's a great hit at the ECWF, entertains the crowd at the beach, and is lots of fun even at low wind.
- Add a GPS speed event. Could be pretty informal, without dedicated heats. We might want to get some loaner GPS units, but may be able to get them from the MidWest Speed Quest. I'd be happy to help out getting this going.

Peter
http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/
pikovsg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Yes! Reply with quote

Love it! Love it! Do it! Do it!

I'm a designer/windsurfer who plans to be there and can help create posters, logo and materials for the event. Attaching the link where you can see my work:

www.pikovsky.org
pikovsg@gmail.com

posters1_09.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.14 KB
 Viewed:  13274 Time(s)

posters1_09.jpg

posters1_08.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.98 KB
 Viewed:  13274 Time(s)

posters1_08.jpg

shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:

BB belongs to me when Suzie-Q's not using it Very Happy

DanWeiss wrote:
OK, the Buzzards Bay event is a GO! Initial plans are a two-day event with packaged hotel benefits, food, drink, music and a festival celebrating windsurfing and SUP. This will be a family-friendly event focussed on participation for all.

Sounds like fun, Dan. Thanks for stepping up and organizing.

DanWeiss wrote:
no true crossing of the Bay this year, also due in part to pretty onerous USCG restrictions on crossing the mouth of the CC Canal. We'll deal with that next year.

I did not know this. Do they frown on individuals going across here or only an organized flotilla?
whitevan01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really great, thank you for doing this, esp. as the ECWF is a no go this year due to damage from Sandy. unfortunately, my niece is getting married in CT on May 25. darn!!!

can one come for the Sunday (May 26) only?
windswell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Light wind slalomish fun and Techno kids Reply with quote

At some point, there's almost guaranteed to be very light wind. I'd encourage you to have longboard light wind zig zag, slalomish short course within 20 yards of the beach, like early "windsurfer class" days. Always entertaining. Even if you just have 3 or 4 longboards, they could be shared around.

Somebody with Nevin's email should see if you can get the Techno Kids to come race. It would be nice to see an under-40 contingent.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good ideas! As for a Sunday only registration, Dennis0778, I'm sure we could work something out but didn't consider that in the event planning.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

The event registration will be hosted by www.boardliving.com where you can purchase your registration and get more info. However, our page isn't complete and not yet live, so I'll post all info regarding windsurfing at least under this thread.

So far, we plan on a three-day event, but two days of racing. A Friday evening arrival and late registration party starts us off with a bang, then we start the real windsurfing and paddling on Saturday morning and continue into Sunday.

The recently renovated SeaCrest Hotel is our host hotel (discounted!), and I head down there next week to finalize our assumptions for housing, food, etc.

Eddie and I we really want to get a sense of participation and whether you plan to stay at the hotel and how many people you think might be taking part as windsurfers, paddlers and those wishing to hang out and go the the meals etc. but not compete.

Please send me an e-mail at dwus484@comcast.net even if you are just thinking of coming. We can take care of formal registration a bit later.

Thanks!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: