myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness line choice, difficulty unhooking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can happen that the plastic coating on new lines is a bit "sticky" for a while. Perhaps that's not helping.

Another possibility is that your lines are either rotating upward around the boom or secure but pointing up a bit. As the mono lines don't allow the same degree of droop right off the boom, any upward rotation can contribute to a more difficult release, whereas traditional lines usually drop out without much problem.

I'd check the setup on your lines and make them secure on the boom. Properly attached, they should snap right out.

mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to do a little jump on my board to unhook . Just pop your feet up a few inches and that will unhook you. Another thing I do is use my thumb to rotate the lines down when I go to unhook(with your grip on the bar and close to the lines, reach over with your thumb).. Try doing the little pop and the thumb thing at the same time, works well for me. I only need to do the little hop when i am slogging. I do the thumb thing often especially when jibing so i do not accidently rehook(very annoying)

On a side note I really dislike soft lines that swing around. I find stiff lines that stay where you put them much better.

Last edited by mat-ty on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Harness line choice, difficulty unhooking Reply with quote

dsgrntlxmply wrote:
quite difficult to get the lines out of the hook when they are engaged with any appreciable amount of tension

You're not going to unhook with even one ounce of tension. The line must have zero tension AND be lower than the hook to drop out of the hook. (Your hook DOES open down, doesn't it?) Lines "pop out" on their own when the rider uses arm muscle to overcome the tension.

Mike \m/
sl55

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinho Dornellas reshapes the hook by uncurling it a bit to make the lines fall down with more ease. It makes the hook longer as well.

harness003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.14 KB
 Viewed:  11894 Time(s)

harness003.jpg

dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl55 wrote:
Tinho Dornellas reshapes the hook by uncurling it a bit to make the lines fall down with more ease. It makes the hook longer as well.

I have thought about straightening the hook a bit. Both the Dakine and Prolimit hooks seem to have quite a lot of back-hook bend to them. The point about increased risk of unhooking in heavier chop does need to be considered.

In response to the kiteboard vs windsurf hook question: these are windsurf hooks. They are whatever came standard on a Dakine XT seat harness, and Prolimit Type-T (and one other Prolimit type whose name I cannot recall) waist harness.

I am guessing that my main problems are the combination of boom height and line length, and inexperience.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsgrntlxmply wrote:

I am guessing that my main problems are the combination of boom height and line length, and inexperience.

I'm guessing it's technique. Try this: Raise your chin and look up slightly as you raise your hips. If you're looking down at your lines and hook as you try to unhook the geometry makes it harder to get the line to fall away. Think of raising your hips while leaving the sail undisturbed. This is a key component of the set up for the planing jibe (getting the line to drop out without disturbing the board or sail)

[quote="mat-ty"]I like to do a little jump on my board to unhook./quote]

That's less than ideal...the last thing you'd want to do before initiating any maneuver in which you want to enter with full speed. If on the other hand you're barreling into a floating log, then whatever works!

infoloo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

You might wanna try these moulded plastic lines. They call them 'clip harness lines'. I own a pair and like them pretty much. No difficulties to unhook as well as no accitendal hook.

They run continuously some giveaway contests on Facebook here : https://www.facebook.com/Windsurfing.Harness.Lines/app_143103275748075

Cheers.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like I wrote , I only do the hop when slogging, not going into a jibe. When powered up you are hanging on the rig and should have zero problem unhooking, push your hips in towards the boom then up. And as I like to do push your lines down and away from the hook with your thumb and all should be good.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dakine roller bar and lines arrived today. The bar of course fits the Dakine seat harness immediately, and can be made to work on the Prolimit waist harness webbing, though without the Prolimit quick release.

A desk trial made the release behavior of the roller look promising.

Praying for wind this weekend.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed with jrpla, make sure your spreader bar is tight.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: