myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard--guns scare me, cars scare me when I am on my bicycle, or in my car. Inattentive drivers scare me. Going downwind on a formula board in big waves when the wind is blowing 30 scares me.

I guess you are asking if another bubble is building. I don't think there is any question that a) Fed policies that have helped avert an even worse recession have warped the economy in certain ways and b) the forces that allowed banks to get too big and make foolish investments have not abated.

With that said, I'll point out two things. California's economy remains stronger than most states, and the recovery of tech jobs and construction jobs are particularly good and don't seem to be tied to easy money. Second, the Republicans have resisted reform of the banking industry more than the Democrats. Neither party has covered themselves with glory. But I'm not sure what the right answer is to banking concentration, much less the politically feasible right (or least wrong) answer is. But money kind of bores me, and my financial advisor has moved me into less risky stocks. So I think a market correction is coming, and the yeehah folks on stocks, will get hurt like the yeehah folks on gold. There are no simple answers.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this take on things to clear the air a bit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/25/no-congress-isnt-trying-to-exempt-itself-from-obamacare/?tid=pm_pop
mac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler--you mean the right was again quick to believe the worst of everyone--and didn't bother to check the facts? How surprising!
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only reason its not being pursued is that they got called on it. Now they'll wait a little while and somehow twist it to not hurt them. Just like how the nads were taken out of the insider trading bill. They are very simply stealing from all of us.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2013/04/16/177496734/how-congress-quietly-overhauled-its-insider-trading-law

They crow about passing a law that most of us probably thought was and should have already been in place long ago. Then quietly gut the bill on a fast track so there would be little or no discussion.
Sleazy bastards all of them.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found something I could agree with NW on. There ought to be hard lines on insider trading and the revolving door.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I'll bet you don't agree with my first sentence.

Anyway, part of me hopes they get their 'out', us peasants would freak, as we should!!!
What a wake up call that would be.
Over history, various governments have failed over things that started exactly this way.
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a conservative opinion on what may be ahead. Time will tell.

"Health Chaos Ahead"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/opinion/brooks-health-chaos-ahead.html?_r=0
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Just a conservative opinion on what may be ahead. Time will tell.

"Health Chaos Ahead"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/opinion/brooks-health-chaos-ahead.html?_r=0

David Brooks is one conservative worth serious consideration. He doesn't spout the party poo-poo. If he says something, liberals should listen. Brooks has his feet on the ground.

Realistically, every complex mechanism, whether it's a law or a space shuttle, needs significant fine-tuning and readjustment for best performance. This doesn't make the the goal, the designer, or the builder wrong -- it's a fact of life. Even houses are changed from the original plans during construction... that's why the builders submit "as-built" plans once the project is finished.

The ACA is no different. It will need adjustment and tweaking as we move forward.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pueno,
The first time I heard that statement was in the original draft of Obamacare written by the very conservative Heritage Foundation in the late eighties.
The GOP congressmen who first put it forward as a bill said the same.
Obama mentioned it early in his efforts more than once.
Another doc that had the same problem was the Constitution. It was amended repeatedly.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
The first time I heard that statement...

Which statement?

keycocker wrote:
...the original draft of Obamacare written by the very conservative Heritage Foundation in the late eighties....

Interesting assertion. Who would've guessed that Obama started on his healthcare reform legislation in the "late eighties" for when he became President?

Yes, yes... I know what you mean. The early drafts of health reform originated with the far righties at the time -- the same far righties who today revile all things Obama. The same far righties who think Romneycare is good for Massachusetts but bad everywhere else. The same far righties who argue that Michelle Obama's new recipe for water is bad for us.

Sorry, KC -- not aimed at you... just at the crazy nut case rabid righties.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 40 of 201

Jump to: