myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone tried chinook masts?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Anyone tried chinook masts? Reply with quote

I was thinking of buying some powerex 85 masts but am starting to wonder about the chinook 90 masts for sale. I'm wondering if anyone has tried them in there sails and how the mast bend compares to there old mast. I'm hoping it will fit in newer ezzy sails. Cheers Rich
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 430 90 carbon and the 460 60 carbon. I use the 460 60 with a 7.5 Ezzy Zephyr and it works perfect!
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, ive got a 430 60% rdm, use it on my northwaves, seems fine to me.
richi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Thanks guys Reply with quote

That's what I was hoping to hear, will give chinook a try instead of powerex.
Cheers
bajaguy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just something to consider. Ezzy's will be fine with most masts, regular or RDM. The Ezzy masts are made to David Ezzy's specs by No Limitz in the Gorge. Another thing to consider is that the new Panther Elite and Tiger have a calibrated down haul system that is set at the factory for an Ezzy mast. You could use a different mast, but David can't guarantee that the sail will perform at its designed optimum level using a different mast.

Comparing the price of the Chinook 90 and Ezzy mast, the Ezzy is a little more per mast, but Windance has quiver pricing for more than one mast. So if you're buying two or three masts the price is comparable to the Chinooks. And depending on the size of your sails, the top and bottom sections of the Ezzy masts can be used in different size sails, which means you may be able to buy fewer masts since you can buy half of a mast. Here is Ezzys mast configuration tool: http://www.ezzy.com/masts/mast-configurator/
kmf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people would like to simplify their sailing gear......but if you choose Ezzy sails and masts YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT MAST FOR EVERY SAIL IN THE QUIVER.

Boy that's progress

In contrast, over at Naish, they have a quiver of sails that the entire quiver uses a 370 RDM. And they work! That is what I would call progress in the gear jumble.

KMF
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
Most people would like to simplify their sailing gear......but if you choose Ezzy sails and masts YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT MAST FOR EVERY SAIL IN THE QUIVER.

Boy that's progress

In contrast, over at Naish, they have a quiver of sails that the entire quiver uses a 370 RDM. And they work! That is what I would call progress in the gear jumble.

KMF

But to change sail sizes in a pinch do you want to have to derig the sail you have rigged to rig another? What if it doesn't work and you should have stayed with the the original sail? It's all a part of the game. The more arrows you have handy in your quiver the better to some regard although since Ezzys, and probably every other sail maker now days have such a broader range I've gone from 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.5 to 4.5, 5.2, 6.0 for my main quiver.
That's progress! Wink

noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In contrast, over at Naish, they have a quiver of sails that the entire quiver uses a 370 RDM.

This sounds like more of a gimmick thing rather than a breakthrough in technology. Not attacking the concept. Just questioning it.

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Gaastra IQs all use a 370. It's super convenient. I carry 2x 370s just in case I trash one, can rig 2 sails at a time if I want, or re-rig the same sail if I happen to destroy a mast.

To have the same convenience in a quiver of sails that all need a different length mast, I would need to carry 2x 430s, 2x 400s, 2x 370s... etc etc etc.

Very Happy

http://wind-nc.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gaastra on a 370 seems a great idea. Unless you want larger than a 4.7m

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: