myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2013 Exocet Xwave 111
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mountainbear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: 2013 Exocet Xwave 111 Reply with quote

I want to thank Jason Voss for recommending me this board as a good all around Bump and Jump for the Delta. I had a chance to try it out last Thursday, and I am very happy with it. The board felt stable through the chop, easy to jibe and kept speed well. I am 225 lbs and with a 5.7 on winds blowing around 30, I did not expect the board to be as easy to ride as it did. I know that Jason has a couple more and also at Delta Windsurf carries them. The board is well worth the money. Thanks again Jason Laughing
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty damn good in onshore and side off waves too. reminds me of all the positive features of the Exo Wave 105 Pro and the Cross II 106 Pro. i've not had a very great experience in thruster mode yet, but partly because i'm too lazy to switch out fins, AND i'm using larger sails in the waves than most around the world do. plus, in following current conditions, open beach breaks, the current takes away apparent winds, so i need power.

i've done the comparison between single fin and tri a few times. not convinced the difference in less planing power is worth the 10% increased grip in turns. but, that's me on mushy beach breaks, not barreling reef or point breaks, with little or no current.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
tajella

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How well do these boards point? At 180 lbs, I am looking for a board to complement my 86 ltr board. I am wondering if the 111 can keep me powered up and going upwind in a flood on the SF Bay.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobt100 wrote:
How well do these boards point? At 180 lbs, I am looking for a board to complement my 86 ltr board. I am wondering if the 111 can keep me powered up and going upwind in a flood on the SF Bay.

As far as Exocets go, I think the Cross would be a better choice, with its longer waterline and bigger fin. But talk to Derek at Delta Windsurf. I wouldn't buy a board without talking to him first.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if all you are going to do is free ride around SFB, then the cross may be a better choice. if you want to run under the SF GG bridge and play in those waves, X-Wave 111 is the call. i've been using a 32 cm freeride fin from hydrotech with 6.8 and 7.5 phantoms in onshore and side shore conditions. it points very well esp when really lit.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long story, but I got shipped the x-wave 111 pro model with a single fin, and it rocks. I use a 24cm wave fin and couldn't be happier. Interesting that they call it a 111 liter board because it feels and rides like a 95 liter board. I was jumping with ease on the 1st windy day, and it takes the surf as well as any board I've ever owned.

However, it does not plane up as fast as a 111 liter board should. The actual outline is that of a much smaller board, with the volume coming in thickness. this is a strange feeling, because I've got a Exocet 3x wave board with 96 liters that planes up just as fast. (but doesn't ride nearly as well)

So....I give it a 9.5 out of 10. I find it to be as good or better than the Quatro 110 quad. (the only other board that even comes close at 9/10) And the graphics on the Exocet are just as good IMO. Quatro is more money, however Francisco is a really cool guy, and his products will have a higher resale value IMO. I'm definitely going to ride the Quatro on Maui again.

Conclusion: The board rides like a pure wave board. It gives you the volume in light winds to hang in there. If you are a big guy who likes waves (me) this or Quatro are your only 2 choices. This wins because it's cheaper and just as nice a ride and graphics.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven, put a bigger fin on it. also, call back to the folks that sold it to you and ask for the set of thrusters. you may come to agree with me that the tri fin set up is not really that important, but at least it'll be complete. i noticed a lack of early planing with the triple fin. to me, no planing is a buzz kill.

32 cm has been the right fin for 4.7 super lit to 7.5 barely powered. it does feel a bit small when slogging. that may due to its 235 cm length. but, one becomes accustomed to it by making sure to not put one's weight very forward....

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not Jingebritsen, they shipped me a single fin pro model by mistake. They were very cool and discounted the board because of the error. I'll try a larger fin next time out. I think I'm one of a few guys with the single fin option.
mountainbear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have not tried the trusters yet, but with a larger fin it worked great
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

called steve g. and said WTF! i want the single fin one. :~) i'm sure on the day(s) that i have the time, patience, and right conditions that happen coincidentally, i'll bother to switch from single to tri-fin. wonder why i rarely seem to? too much else going on with other distractions, and the rare lit up 5.2 days, perhaps?

on the lit up dayz, i'm, figuratively, knocking down the obstacles, that waste precious minutes, that might be in my way to get on a wave! dithering with extra fins is just not worth the 10% or so difference in performance while on a wave. after all, getting set up for the next one is a larger part of the sesh no matter what. i don't have the luxury of reefs or points. gotta grind back upwind for the next ride. if i'm on a pussy footing board that up winds weaker, i'm wasting precious daylight. my obsession with power is a symptom of my prevailing conditions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: