myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What board for a returning windsufer ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valerian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: What board for a returning windsufer ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I had a lot of fun in the past using a BIC Vivace 270 (2.70m, 0.56m,96l) in France, just having fun going as fast a possible and starting to jibe (1 out of 5 successful), no wave or freestyle, just good fun going as fast as possible, turn and get fast again...
Kids and life happened and I stopped. I moved recently to Houston, and being 45 minutes away from the water, I would like to resume the fun...
From what I understand, the program I'm looking for is between Freeride and Slalom (if I understand correctly, so feel free to correct me)...
I'm looking at a Bic Techno 148 or Fanatic Shark probably 135 (yes, I'm a little heavier than before, just under the 150 pounds Razz )...

Any suggestion or feedback on those boards choice? and potentially where to go South of Houston for some fun?...

Thanks for reading...
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian,

Welcome back. Both boards are good freeride boards. I'm 170 lbs & both a 148 & 135 would be big boards for me so for you at under 150 they will be huge.

Not pushing size, just saying.......

Coachg
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to BIB. Rent (demo.) Maybe even take a lesson. Money well spent.
http://www.worldwinds.net/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - Welcome back !!
And, you gave a lot of important and helpful info... but one more thing.

* What's the wind you realistically expect to have, when you go windsurfing?

Because, "how much wind" you'll be sailing in (along with your other info) will determine what size board makes the most sense.
Greg -
Valerian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, that's a very good question but to be honest I do not have a precise answer... I will navigate south of Houston (between Galveston and Corpus Christi)...

In France I had 3 sizes of sail: 5.2, 6.5 and 7.5 and was most of the time with my 6.5 (7.5 is too heavy for me, and also because it was my better one) So I was thinking about getting a nice 6.2 or 6.5 and see after some time what my second one should be...

Regarding the volume, it is true that my old Vivace was 96 liter only, so 120 or 135 seems a lot for 150 pounds... May should I try the Shark 120 (120l) or even 105 (105l), any owner feedback?...

Again, I really appreciate your feedback and help Smile
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 120 liter sounds better for light winds with a 6.2-6.5, than a 105. I see a 120 liter board for < 20 mph for you & a 105 as a 15-25ish board at your weight.

Coachg
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody's definition of "lightwinds" is different.

When thinking of a board to use in < 20... what's "that" really going to be?
For most recreational windsurfers, sailing avg to good gear, you're going to need a solid 15 mph to be planning.
(Pros on specialized gear can do it, in a bit less. But that's not me, and it's not Valerian either.)
Where I sail the most common wind is 5 to 15 mph... planning is not the norm. Only in certain short-lived weather patterns, do we get planeable wind (IF you can get away from work and family stuff to get it). And sailor weight is one of the most important factors regarding planning time in marginal winds.
In steady winds between 15 and 25, with lots of 20... everybody is planning... and there's lots of good boards to choose from.
But if you go in 10-20... you're going to be planning sometimes and slogging a fair amount.
You can choose a "bigger sized shortboard for your weight"... which will be fun. But be prepared to schlogg very slowly when the winds lighter.
Or... get a small longboard... or a hybrid... something with a retractable centerboard. Then you're still going relatively fast in lightwinds, 2 to 15 mph. But can go even faster, cause they easily work in 20+ winds.

So, knowing how much wind you typically have in your area, is the most important factor.
Or, you can decide, "I don't care what the typical wind normally is... I am ONLY going to sail when it's windier than 15". Which is also great.
All of this is important to figure out before you start buying gear.
You want a good idea of what's realistic... if you really want to get "time on the water".
Greg -
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: