myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
4/29 Backcast
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: 4/29 Backcast Reply with quote

Hi jrg,

I was not forecasting yesterday but I was following the wind and can take a stab at why the forecast winds were much lower than the actual wind.

See imagery below.

Or to see a larger image go to:

http://blog.weatherflow.com/bay-area-429-and-430/

Mike Godsey

Excuses2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  490.76 KB
 Viewed:  18460 Time(s)

Excuses2.jpg

bob1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When things like this go on, is it possible for IWS fx'er to do a midday update?

I've seen you guys do in the past (esp in Gorge) when final 11:30am fx goes awry . . .
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges Mid-Day Shutdown Reply with quote

Hi Windfind,

Is this what caused the a-typical mid-day shutdown at Natural Bridges that cost me a board and a sail?

Windward1
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blew like stink on the coast and the vector predicted it spot on. I didn't believe it, but I went and checked it out and was overpowered on my 4.7.
windward1

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Where? Reply with quote

Hi Edscott,

Where were you on the coast that it blew?

Windward1
dperzinski

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Natural Bridges Mid-Day Shutdown Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:

Is this what caused the a-typical mid-day shutdown at Natural Bridges that cost me a board and a sail?

Windward1

When was this? What happened?
windward1

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Response to question Reply with quote

Hi dpzinski,

See:

Where We're Sailing Today / where we sailed today
Posted: 01 May 2013 00:41 Post subject: Natural Bridges
dperzinski

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windward1 wrote: "Wow. Weird day at NB today. Just as I launched the wind died. I swam the gear out hoping not to get caught in the large sets coming in relatively randomly. No wind. Then the wind came from the east. Sailed out with it until it quit which was in a few minutes. Then gusts from the west so you would go from 0 to 18 immediately, that would then last ten seconds and drop to ten mph. Just tried to get back in with what west wind there was and it died before I got back to the beach. Swimming it all in, I almost made it in between sets. I said almost. Just before reaching the beach I got caught. Busted the board, ripped out the mast box and split the board up the middle. Sail was trashed. Ripped along a batten and down the luff. Also ripped along the leach."

Geez, that's the worst case of equipment trashing I've ever heard of. Glad you made it back all in one piece though. Is that the way it works at NB? You come back and go out between sets.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Trashed Gear Reply with quote

Hi dperzinski,

Well on most ocean launches one tries to go out and come in in-between sets. One does not want to tempt Mother Nature by dawdling in the impact zone. My problem was that just as I launched the wind went to zero. No power to get out. I was in the impact zone already attempting to launch and it being the middle of the afternoon, did not think the wind was dead for long, but just a major lull. It was not just a lull however. The east and west winds were in an arm wrestling match which is what WindFind was indicating on this post. It was happening majorly at Natural Bridges just as I was going out unfortunately.

Natural Bridges can have a hard shore pound during sets and is known for that. Fortunately this Spring sand has built the beach way up and was also filled in under the water so that the waves have been breaking much more gently with the tops just coming down on a ramped face, distributing the wave's energy over time and launching even during sets was no problem (as long as there was wind). However this last week a lot of the sand has washed away under the water, making for a steeper beach and the shore pound is back.

Still I would have been fine swimming it in between sets, if I had been able to swim just a little bit faster and actually made it to the beach between sets. As it was the gear was ripped out of my hands and pounded by a series of waves and thus all the carnage. With the steep beach and the undertow back into the next wave, several attempts to grab the rig and extract it to the beach had to be abandoned and I had to run to either side of the gears expected path so as not to have it break a leg.

One guy who sails at Natural Bridges broke a leg, near the ankle, very badly from such a situation although it was up at Davenport. And Davenport has changed. The channel right off the beach used to have very calm water to launch from even though there were good waves on the south and north reefs, but now it seems to experience a lot of shore pound and surge. It is no longer the passive launch that it used to be. Watch out for it if launching there as well.

Windward1
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a spot north of Santa Cruz. And the sensors were reading like 12 at that point. As soon as I got a few miles north of town, it was honking. And, I had the waves to myself for about an hour until I couldn't hold my 5.2 anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: