myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Stupid Kook board question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't, either, except at Port Kelley when and where the slight wind direction shifts common in the Gorge after midday threaten swims of up to 1,000 yards. I had also just bought that 96 liter board partly for that location and wanted to try it out. It got me back when my usual 3.7 boards of about 65 liters would not have.

Why so many east coast sailors angrily insist that 90-95 liters is necessary in 40 mph sideshore winds still escapes me altogether.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorionw96 wrote:
OK if you are a 200#er you need 30 to 35 average for 3.7. I don't want to be on a 96l board anywhere out east in that amount of wind.

I would... if there was a 500 yd slog to get to the wind.
If you've never had to slog a long way to get to the wind... then it wouldn't make any sense... but if you have, it makes perfect sense. In fact, it is about the only option.

Sailboats get around this, by motoring out to the wind. Or they put a big sail up to get out there, and then change to a smaller sail, once out in the wind.
But of course, windsurfers can't do either (and no, we don't need to waste time chatting about all the convertible zip-off sails that used to be made Smile

Anyway, yes, what Iso said is not lame... this is good advice and totally works.
On the other hand, I'm now lazy and this kinda slog and then sailing that kinda wind, just makes me too tired. So, I try to only sail places where I won't have a big swim or slog to the wind-line.
And yes, this will limit or decrease some days or locations, for sailing.

Still, if you're a frequent shortboard sailor... this will still happen to you, because the wind may shift while you're out. So, there was no shadow when you launched, but there is when you return. In this case, you'll be swimming... or you'll be wishing you had more volume Smile
Greg -
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's that very phenomenon ... plus my impaired balance, plus the narrow angle in which wind works in PK's canyon, plus the truly NASTY clamber of shame if ya don't sail back precisely to your launch, that discourages me from that place. I've deliberately swum much smaller sinkers 500 yards to windlines elsewhere when I "knew" it would pay off with hours of great sailing. It's much easier, though, to learn to sail a 6.2 and 90 liters like and where and when others try and fail to enjoy 4.2s and undersized boards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: