myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ideas on how to carry an 'backup / emergency up fin'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ideas on how to carry an 'backup / emergency up fin' Reply with quote

B737 wrote:
I think the ONLY thing they are going to care about is clearing the channels.

Until they get bored AND have excess money to spend, I'd guess it's all about navigable channels. Outside that, I've seen highway centerlines pass beneath me, hit a concrete picnic table, and sailed very carefully over acres of knee-deep building foundations replete with concrete, rebar, and plumbing ... all in long-existing lakes at normal water level. (The submerged town was part of Boardman, OR.)
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to carry backups for everything that could break,..,.
I don't see any good spot for one.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
BRIMAR

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see everyone brainstorming to figure out a solution.
My .02
If you have a tuttle box fin the finbox will break before the fin so there's no solution only sailing in with your now dinged fin in your now broken fin box that's assuming the tail of the board didn't break off. (yes I've seen this)

I really liked the idea of using an "A" box fin with the tab at the wrong end but in this scenario the issue will be getting the broken fin head out of the board.

I've only dreamt this and never tried it but it should work for any powerbox or Meitex/RealWind finbox fin. Instead of using a stainless steel bolt use a teflon bolt that will break away without damaging anything. Simply sink a small stainless wood screw into the fin head near the main screw. Attach some fishing line to the screw to act as a teather so when you hit some thing the teflon bolt will break and the fishing line teather will save your fin. ( a big problem is how to get the broken teflon bolt out of your fin sorry only 89% brilliant)
Now with your spare teflon bolt reattach the fin and CONTINUE SAILING

Now you all know what the voices are saying as I lay awake at night
feuser

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ideas on how to carry an 'backup / emergency up fin' Reply with quote

B737 wrote:

im open to hear your ideas...

B'tween yer teef, matey! Arrrr.

obviously too much playing AOW, too little sailing here...

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a broken A box fin head would be a problem. When I carried a spare fin (in a lake too big to swim across), I also carried a stubby screwdriver and the hope that I could make the idea work.

I've used nylon fin tab screws often. I prefer, and always use with A fins, the brass'n'plastic breakaway fin tab nuts, as the nylon screws break too easily. I want at least an even chance of sailing away when hitting a fish.

Mike \m/
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should fix the spare fin on top of your helmet, like the Romans used to do... You'll need a carbon one because of the weight! Laughing
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say it again: if you practice some fin-first sailing (which is fun to try in lulls and nonplaning conditions) you can develop the chops to sail a finless board nose first. At least enough to get back to the beach. It's a technique solution...no emergency gear required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: