myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What do you make of this board?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: What do you make of this board? Reply with quote

My friend is moving overseas and offered to sell me this board for $100, it's about 29.5" X 9', there is a pad that was attached to the deck, it covers up the specifications , all I can read is Mistral freeride. I comes with the original fin, 45cm powerbox.
I would guess it's at least 130L maybe over 150L.
Can anyone ID it?

0515131539.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.02 MB
 Viewed:  16296 Time(s)

0515131539.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 2004 Mistral Explosion 150. Lots of photos in the following website.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc41/windman1111/SL370893.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.totalwind.net/foro/viewtopic.php?t%3D28442&h=768&w=1024&sz=164&tbnid=h2I7-OzXkAXBSM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmistral%2Bexplosion%2B150l%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=mistral+explosion+150l&usg=__Nit1a7xGTlWI0g5OCFZoNjbRn-I=&sa=X&ei=BX2UUaapNajziwLf5ICYCg&ved=0CBwQ9QEwAQ

It looks to be a great price, but I have no experience regarding its performance characteristics. But given the freeride designation, it probably offers decent performance that probably comes in a bit less high strung than a full on light wind slalom design. It has outboard strap positions, so it should offer fairly good speed and leverage over the fin.

If you check out the following site, you can read a test summary in English.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.easy-windsurfing.pl/tools_img/n_Windsurfing_USA_May_04_Test_Explosion_150.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.easy-surfshop.pl/wydarzenie-nowy-mistral-explosion-150-wygrywa-w-testach-desek-freeride_58&h=467&w=340&sz=29&tbnid=UpVBPmAOninsjM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=66&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmistral%2Bexplosion%2B150l%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=mistral+explosion+150l&usg=__IhhQit_EUlgAlMb5FBXqmvV7N0k=&sa=X&ei=YoGUUY_wLOS3igLG4oDACA&ved=0CCAQ9QEwAw
adywind

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent light wind or first short board. The pads are most probably covering del-lamination cracks or repair after cracks. You can certainly make few bucks out of it but investigate what is hidden underneath the black pads . With or without need of a repair 100$ is a good price.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deck padding means one of four things I can think of. The owner wanted better traction, wanted a softer feel, wanted to protect the deck from damage, and/or is covering up damage and/or repairs. Most boards I sell are padded, and for the first three reasons only. If a board I'm considering buying is already padded there, I use knuckles, lots of pressure, very close visual examination, my ears (pressed against suspicious spots as I compress the board), my lips (I kiss dings* HARD to detect leaks), and a scale to try and detect damage or repairs. (Fortunately for people who buy my boards, I freely disclose and discuss any damage, hidden or otherwise.)

* If I get carried away, it means I reallyreally like the board, maybe too much; hold out for full asking price. Wink

It also helps to think about what you're buying. Some brands and models are notorious for soft decks, rippled or delammed bottoms, weak A-boxes, etc. If considering one of those, I check them extra carefully and expect a cheap price so if it fails soon it's not a big loss.

In your case, ask yourself how much jumping you see him doing. Probably not much. Better yet, ask him whether there's any damage. If he's your friend, or is simply honest, he'll give you an honest answer.

Then there's Google. Mistral had at least Screamer and Energy versions of their Freerides, and their characteristics may be important to you.

And for a hunnerd bucks, who cares? Consider it a cheap experiment with a different style of board, and you'll get your money's worth anyway.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about the extra pads and what's underneath them. You can usually tell the amount of abuse pretty well by checking out the visible parts of the board, particularly around the nose area. Looks like your friend might have been a less agro sailor based on the inboard strap positions, so any serious deck problems are highly unlikely. Also, check the weight of the board against the original specs keeping in mind the production tolerances and the weight of the extra pads. Lastly, if you get a chance to try the board, be sure to move the straps to the outboard positions.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It finally dawned on me that, considering the extent of the board's padding, it's for comfort, traction, and board and body protection, not covering damage ... unless his kid or mistress took a hammer to the whole deck.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He bought it from someone else about a year ago, and my friend hasn't used it much. He did manage to break the nose off and had it repaired by the local ding guy who does good work, you can't even tell.
It's still light.
It seems to have a lot of footstrap positions. I have a SB Go 155L and this board seems very similar so perhaps owning this board would be redundant?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Go 155, that board is redundant. (says the man with
6 boards between 70 and 80 ltrs)

-Craig

beaglebuddy wrote:
He bought it from someone else about a year ago, and my friend hasn't used it much. He did manage to break the nose off and had it repaired by the local ding guy who does good work, you can't even tell.
It's still light.
It seems to have a lot of footstrap positions. I have a SB Go 155L and this board seems very similar so perhaps owning this board would be redundant?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pro edition of this board is priceless. for a work a day light to medium wind day, this board rocks. for a $100, if you use it 20 times.....
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to my SB Go 155L, the mistral is about 4" narrower and a foot longer so while the displacement is near the same the shape seems a bit different. It's got a short surfing type fin that I would like for my windsup so I'll probably go for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: