myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What do you make of this board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that I still have a number of older designed boards that are both narrower and longer. I also have much newer boards that reflect more of the current shorter and wider trends. Yet, I often prefer the older boards because of the smooth translations they offer, particularly getting on or coming off a plane. All of these boards that I'm talking about are Mike's Labs built by Mike Zajicek, and they just span a time frame of nearly 15 years.

Old can still be good.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I have to admit that I still have a number of older designed boards that are both narrower and longer. I also have much newer boards that reflect more of the current shorter and wider trends. Yet, I often prefer the older boards because of the smooth translations they offer, particularly getting on or coming off a plane. All of these boards that I'm talking about are Mike's Labs built by Mike Zajicek, and they just span a time frame of nearly 15 years.

Old can still be good.

Steve, I sure would like to meet you at SI this year. I know you have the little OO's but I would like to swap one of my bigger OO's for a test drive on a Mike's Lab. I'm sure it would be fun to taste test them, and a beer afterward!

swchandler

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I do have a couple Open Oceans in the van too. In fact, the 8'2" Tri-fin is the oldest board I'm using right now, and it's now better than 17 years old. It's just another example that old can still be good, especially when the conditions are tough.

I just got my new RVWA decal and tide chart the other day, so I'm looking forward to some quality time at SI. I'll let you know when I'm coming up.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I doubt your 8'2" is identical to my 8'2" as Brian's board design has evolved since then. Maybe not big changes but they have changed. Some ideas brought back because well, they work. Others to improve on an already proven design. Your board probably will have facets rather than the slot bottom he's doing now unless otherwise specified. He brought that back for a little smoother ride (easier on the knees) as opposed a little earlier planning. Also, I'm not sure if he was doing wide point middle 17 years ago like he's doing now. The wide point on boards moving from back to front and then back again has been probably the most visible difference I can think of in the last 25 years. Either way, I'm looking forward to comparing a 1996 8'2" to a 2010 8'2". I'm sure it will be fun! I think you'll like the 8'4" 95ltr. I'm still getting to know that one myself but seems to be the perfect "medium wind" board for SI.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it doesn't surprise me that designers are always tweaking things. I think that it's in their DNA. Also, the market expects a bit of change and evolution over time, even if it sometimes involves delving back into ideas of the past. The position of the wide point is a classic example. Add fresh new graphics every year to catch everyone's eye, and folks are tempted to open their wallet.

I look forward checking out your collection of OOs this summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: