myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Air vent screw on JP epoxy board
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always open my vent plug when not sailing after reading Eva's article several years ago. I figure if a board builder/repair person deems it necessary, then I will heed her warning and do as she suggests. Make it part of your routine. The only downside of opening the vent is forgetting to close it. If you get into the routine of closing it every time, you shouldn't have problems.

I unscrew the vent really far so it sticks out about 1/2" over the deck of the board, so it's pretty obvious that it's open. I would definitely notice it if I were to connect the sail to the board.

Here's Eva's advice:

And for you windsurfers who listen to my preaching about opening the vent plug when not on the water: if you open the plug, then stick the wet board into a bag and zip it shut, the moisture from padz and straps will find its way into the EPS foam core. Don't go there!

And speaking of vent plugs: opening yours whenever you are off the water is the single most effective thing you can do to prolong the life of your board. Leaving it closed will cause the EPS foam core to expand and contract at least once a day. You take any substance, no matter how stout, and you push and pull it continually, at least 365 times a year, and it will fail. Guaranteed!
It's not that much, you say? I just measured my Trusty Old 9'-4": typical summer day, near sea level, early morning, cool 60 degrees, it was 4 15/16" thick. Then the day warmed to 89 degrees, a thermal low developed, and the board expanded to 5 3/16". That is a whopping 1/4" change, or 5%!!

Get into a routine, where you tighten the vent screw just before you put on your harness, or some such thing, and it will become second nature, and you will not forget. But DO IT!

For long-term storage, keep it in a nice, comfortable place. If you live in a cold climate and have to heat in the winter, keep in mind that the rafters where you store your board may be substantially warmer than the rest of the space. And do not let your board touch the furnace!! (you think I am dreaming up gory scenarios? think again!). Make sure you don't store anything really heavy on your board, especially not anything heavy with sharp edges. Given enough time, your board will acquire dents that way. especially when it is up in the rafters. where it is warm...

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep mine close almost 99% of the time. I talked to Eva about it today and for my conditions she said it should be fine. Always in bag with pads slightly wet (I try to dry em as much as possible after each session) and always on the rack. Socal is pretty flat so she said I should be fine.

I do however open them after I take them off the rack and store them on the side yard (still in board bag is completely opened).

-Kevin
techno900

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the only serious delamination I have had in 30 years was with a board in a light gray padded bag (no vent plug). Left in the sun for a couple of hours did it in. Get the foil bags! This was 15 or more yrs ago and I don't remember what brand of board.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second what Techno said. Have never opened the vents on any boards (climate often damp and humid) and have never had a problem.

To argue that boards (and foam) expand in heat and contract in cold and therefore must have open vents, doesn't seem logical. If they are fully sealed from new and have no moisture inside, I fail to see how opening a vent will either prevent this expansion and contraction, (a fact of life), or prolong the life of the board.

I also think it nuts that on a hot day, a heated and vented board is sealed up tight immediately before being plunged into cold sea water. If that isn't asking for trouble, I don't know what is.

Some of my boards are now over 20 years old, and none have delaminated. (Some don't even have vent plugs anyway.) That was quite normal in the 80's with poly boards, which not only delaminated and compacted the foam, but changed shape also!
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you G.T.. Unless I'm traveling over high elevations or flying, I never open my vent plugs. I've never had any delamination problems outside of pressure related deck issues between the footstraps, and that has only affected two boards after many years of use. I store my boards in the van full time, with most in canvas or standard board bags. However, I always leave the bags in the van, and never leave boards in the sun while in the bags.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I'm with you G.T.. Unless I'm traveling over high elevations or flying, I never open my vent plugs. I've never had any delamination problems outside of pressure related deck issues between the footstraps, and that has only affected two boards after many years of use. I store my boards in the van full time, with most in canvas or standard board bags. However, I always leave the bags in the van, and never leave boards in the sun while in the bags.

Back when I had a van, I did the same thing but didn't have them in bags and they didn't have vents. Jumped into the van to go sailing one day and the first thing I noticed was a faint hiiissssss so I guess if you have a leak anywhere, you'll know it!

sailwave

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been sailing 4 qty plugged boards for >20 years. Never even loosened the plugs except when flying them to Maui. Never had a delam or any issue with plenty of hot car storage. Simple for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: