myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Car time
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrchocky

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: New Car time Reply with quote

As with so much, else, our hobby dictates much else of what we purchase/spend our time doing, etc, etc.

So the 2000 Ford Focus station wagon looks to be on its last legs. A board will fit inside, just, if the fin is removed and it's angled and the passenger seat pushed back (which isn't very far, and goes less far forward). I have a roof rack too which is handy sometimes, but that's more hassle with straps, and tends to be noisy if not done exactly right.

I'm looking at Volvo V70s - roof rack too, and perhaps slightly more room in the rear, and maybe (?) better seat folding situation. I drove one of these briefly years ago, and they are pretty nice.

Obviously this needs to be a general purpose vehicle too. Don't particularly want a minvan or van of any kind, although I know others love theirs, and fit loads of gear. Comments?

Other options including joining the sailing club and using their gear, and/or their storage lockers for my stuff.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Minivan Reply with quote

Change your mind and go with the minivan. You might want to consider the Dodge Grand Caravan with Stow 'n Go as it converts from a 7 passenger carrier to a great mover of those things related to windsurfing. All without having to store seats somewhere.
SPQR

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like these "what to drive windsurfing threads." With a family of 4 I have choices, but generally drive an older BMW sedan that takes a standard key which is on a string, around my neck and under my wetsuit. My newer SUV's have those infared keys which aren't going under my wetsuit any time soon. This car is 29 years old, and a dedicated surf and windsurf vehicle.
adywind

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I have a dedicated E150 so I can have all my stuff everywhere and I wouldn't have to wory if I have the right gear for the conditions and about all the sand that gets in.
thombiz

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPQR have you ever thought of using one of those lock boxes like realtors use to show homes? Something like this: http://www.cleanitsupply.com/p-50178-master-lock-locking-combination-5-key-steel-box-3-12w-x-1-58d-x-4h-blacksilver-mlk5400d.aspx?utm_source=Nextag&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=MLK5400D

It contains a lock box with enough room for a couple keys.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered building a trailer? They can be great from a convience standpoint. Just hitch up and roll. Plus you keep all the sandy, stinky gear out of your car. I had one for a few years (until I bought a van) and i worked well. I'm working on building another since I got rid o the van.

My current windsurf vehicle is the Honda Element. Very versatile vehicle. The rear seats can be fully removed which leaves enough room for up to three boards, about 5 or 6 sails and other gear inside. It also has roof racks. Also, there is no carpet to trap sand and moisture. The main drawback is poor gas mileage.

sm
Windnc

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: New Car Time Reply with quote

I have owned a Volvo XC-70 since 2003 and have used it for both carrying windsurfing gear and pulling a windsurfing trailer. You can easily take out the back seats and fold the seat backs down to give a whole lot of room in back to carry gear. If by yourself you can fold the front passenger seat forward, put a pad over it and then put sails, masts, booms and even a couple boards inside. Plus still have room on the left side for gear etc. behind the drivers seat.
For racks I use Yakima racks installed on the factory rails. These are very strong and I have carried multiple boards, sailbags, kayaks, SUP's, ladders, lumber, etc. on these for years with no problems. Plus you can get a 5' rack spread which helps distribute the load very well.

Additionally I have been pulling an E&J Custom aluminum windsurfing trailer 5 1/2' x 12 1/2', 1800 pounds fully loaded, for the last 3 years with no problems.

Overall the Volvo XC-70 and V-70 are super versatile options with tons of windsurfing gear carrying capacity, comfortable and reliable driving performance. For their size these vehicles get pretty good fuel economy and with the Turbo charged engine offer super accelaration and power when needed for a big station wagon type vehicle.

Good luck with your new vehicle decision.
dhmark

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a volvo v70, worked well, they don't make it any more. Really like my Ford Flex, seats fold flat, front seat folds forward, can put two boards and everything else in easily (no long boards). Huge 2nd row seating space, I preferred it to Minivan which usually only seat 2 in 2nd row (have 3 kids). dhmark
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Mazda CX-9. Tons of space, fold down seats, take off head rest on front passenger seat and seats go almost flat. I can fit all my gear and three boards inside if I want. Add a roof rack and put a few boards up top.
Decent mileage, super smooth and fast, good looking refined vehicle. You can grab one at the end of a two year lease with low milage and still under warranty. Volvos are overpriced and expensive to get repaired. The Mazda is bigger , less expensive, all wheel drive, 280 hp, and easily as well built.
loonie2

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe Reply with quote

Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe are essentially the same car. Smaller car (not mini van), good gas economy, reliable (well rated in reviews), adequat power for highway driving not so expensive (relatively) to buy. Best part is the huge about of space inside this hatchback has. Back seats fold down fully flat and front passenger seat hinges forward. I can fit inside 3 boards and four sails with misc riggings, masts etc and still have FULL driving visibility - just can't see passenger side mirror with 3 boards. Hatchback door goes up giving you a sheltered area for those rainy days. Get one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: