myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RIP R. B. Swift
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEsailor

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I can’t believe he’s gone. The end of an era. Does anybody know what happened? I can’t believe Pueno has not chimed in and filled us in on the story.

He certainly was an animated character! There were so many dimensions to Bruce.

I remember him talking of sailing and the dolphins and other sea life that would come alive and swim with him as he sailed.

Then there were the funny animated videos about "scratchy nuts"

And you cant forget how he was obsessed with sanding his fin. He posted about it so often the term took on a new and hidden meaning .

The Brucie cartoons by Mo were incredible and ingenious.

He had stories of hiding behind sand dunes and watching the young surfer boys.

The funny pictures he posted of himself doing embarrassing things in the bushes of his mom’s house.

The riveting stories of how he cut up a branch from a storm with a chainsaw.

The goofy suspender pictures he posted of himself

And of course there couldn’t be a post he was involved in that someone did get an insult.

The funny responses by Pueno.

And of course his impeccable spelling in all of his posts.

He must have had a 100 different names he posted under in many different forums and it was always figured out who it was.

Iwindsurf should do a tribute to him. A sad day.
windswell

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never met the guy, or Pueno (I think). I tried and usually succeeded in not getting involved in the pissing match/thread killers. I don't watch the Ghostbusters shows on TV. But given his posting tenacity, I wouldn't be surprised if Brucie figures a way to post here from wherever his spirit landed. Stay tuned......
ron.c

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul said

"He had the crappiest gear, you could imagine"

Hmmm, maybe I’ll inherit an upgrade!!

RC
paulf.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron, i think he boasted of his small sail being a 9.5 for when it was blowing 30 on whacky bay, probably not anything there you want to use.

Last edited by paulf. on Wed May 22, 2013 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pueno has not chimed in and filled us in on the story.

OK Pueno. Time to tell the story. Not that it ever mattered much but you told me and probably a few others so, spill it!

ron.c

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you're right big Paul on the sail sizes - wishful thing anyway.

Could it be that One up was just another personality of Sinbad????
WaterKook

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be when we find out Pueno was Brucie.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron.c wrote:

Could it be that One up was just another personality of Sinbad????

evans wrote:

This could be when we find out Pueno was Brucie.

For some, that question remains.

_______

evans wrote:
As a tribute I think we should cut and paste what we thought were his best posts

Here's my vote. A bit ironic, all things considered.

_______

Several people have asked about my relationship with Mr. Swift and, specifically, why I persisted in busting his chops for years.

First, a disclaimer: I'm not a windsurfer and have never been one. A sailor, yes. This is something I've disclosed frequently here and elsewhere (I busted Brucie's chops on many forums), and it's a reason I generally left him alone on the technical forums -- unless I had something specific to add that might have been useful... or unless Brucie was being his normal pretentious, pompous, bombastic, abrasive self.

How did I first encounter this unusual guy?

Years back -- around '97, or so -- I participated on a Yahoo Finance forum for a company. The company was going under. Management squelched all internal communication, so employees jumped onto the finance forum to trade stories and share info.

Some guy using the alias "tycoonguy" (and who ALWAYS misspelled "prabably," "optain," "currput," "asnine," "futhermore," and other words) showed up and began viciously attacking posters (mostly employees) who were castigating the corrupt, thieving CEO -- the CEO was steering the company into bankruptcy. On that forum, people figured out that "tycoonguy" was someone named Robert Bruce Swift, Jr., and they deduced that Mr. Swift lived in Somerville, MA [at that time]. Mr. "Tycoonguy" Swift was downright vicious and vulgar in his constant, brutal minute-by-minute attacks.

I did a Google search using the aliases and misspelled words to find iWindsurf and other windsurfing forums, including cycling, ice skating, and so on. It should surprise nobody that Brucie was treated on those forums just as he was here. And on some of the European and Australian forums, Brucie was regularly eviscerated, yet he always bounced back for more.

On a Google forum, Brucie actually offered a reward to anyone who could supply him with my ID. I offered, but he wouldn't take the bait.

Back to the finance forum… someone suggested that "tycoonguy" was a shill, paid by corporate management to disrupt conversations that were denigrating to the crooked, lying CEO. While we had no proof, I and many others lost a few Yahoo aliases (because we bashed the CEO) while "tycoonguy" sailed on merrily for several years with his vulgar, vile minute-by-minute bashing and trashing of us. This lent credence to the claim that management approved of him (and thus likely paid him) while they complained to Yahoo about current and past employees who challenged the actions of the then-CEO.

In all the time we've traded jabs here, Brucie was fun. He and I often traded email and enjoyed a reasonably civil discourse. He was considerably more composed in his one-on-one conversations. We talked about car repairs, home repairs, ice hockey, sailing, and even the Cape Cod experience -- I grew up and worked within figurative spitting distance of him. In fact, I was married in the same church that held the memorial service for his late father. Our parents may have been acquaintances.

Those little factoids annoyed the hell outta Brucie. I was so close yet so far.

Anyway, rest in peace, Brucie. May the heavenly winds be forever at your back.

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link to this thread Craig. I was unaware of his passing.

However Brucie came across, he did get pleasure out of windsurfing, albeit in his own special way, and presumably he experienced similar emotions and joys as the rest of us, as he ploughed his groove over the ocean.

His death is a bit of a shock. It just seems so final! All the memories, experience of life, knowledge and understanding gained, wiped out and gone for ever. It's difficult not to feel sad for him. R.I.P. Bruce.
ron.c

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks One Up for the post.

You too, One Up, have been part of the clan. Check in sometine.

Hopefuly, it'll be on to sailing this afternoon!

RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: