myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to live

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbleck

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Where to live Reply with quote

I am trying to convince my wife to move to San Fran, but she wants to be closer to family in the east. San Fran seems to have the best wind.

If I am forced to move east I am thinking Jersey because it seems like it has good waves/wind. Hard to find good jobs in Hatteras.
Does anyone know any ideal destinations in the east coast for good wind/waves? From Maine-Florida?

Thanks!
Steve
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, we had the same question last year, except that we did not limit our choice to the east. We spend between 1 and 7 weeks in Hatteras, Maui, Texas, and the Gorge, but finally picked Cape Cod. One deciding factor for me was the wide variety of windsurfing conditions that are within just a 10-40 minute drive away. They range from perfectly flat water for speed and freestyle to B&J and waves that, too my untrained eye, look a lot better than what I have seen in Hatteras. Jobs are also easier to come by, with a couple of hundred thousand permanent residents on the Cape. Housing on Cape Cod is quite affordable compared to, e.g., the Boston area (as long as you don't want to live at the water front).

We have been living on Cape Cod for 9 months now, and love it. My wife and I sail year-round, as long as the air temp is above 32. No problem with the right wetsuit and a van. I scored 30 sessions between 11/1/12 and 2/28/13 (out of 97 session since moving to Cape Cod last August, but that includes 4 weeks in Bonaire and Hatteras). It does not blow 25 everyday like the Bay Area in the summer, but if you like variety, Cape Cod is hard to beat.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cape Cod, but if you need a larger job market consider Boston and either the north or south shores. It's windy a lot, not as much as CC but not bad considering the broader career opportunities. It depends what you want to do and the compromises you are willing to make.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone. email. Texting. Airplanes. Snail mail.

Sorry to be so snide, but my BIL was literally not able to feed his kids adequately as they grew up because his wife wouldn't cut the apron strings. She demanded that they remain within 10 miles of her parents ' farm in backwoods hardscrabble Iowa, where his engineering degree and extensive experience were useless even during excellent job markets.

Your wife will adapt, grow, and become more self-reliant if she realizes that when we marry, our "family" becomes our spouse and kids, just as our "home" becomes the one our family lives in, wherever it is. My MIL thought I was keeping her daughter prisoner until Mom called and asked my wife 2,000 miles away, "When are you coming home?". My wife's answer resolved everything: "Mom, I AM home."

Failing that, good on ya for sacrificing your wishes to hers ... if it all works out in the long run. OTOH, my farm-bred wife and I have been eternally overjoyed that my military career dragged our butts off the east coast, where we would have never even learned how much we were missing. Suggestion: try it, if you think she can adapt. You can always move back if not.

I got nuthin' for your east coast sailing or living options. I lived in and left the eastern U.S. before Jim Drake thought of the universal joint, and still thank God and Uncle Sam every day since.

YMMV.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobe sound is where i'd rather live if i had a move in mind. http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=226&siteID=2793&days=1&Isection=Wind+Yesterday
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Where to live Reply with quote

sbleck wrote:
From Maine-Florida?

I'd say check out Virginia Beach / Hampton Roads. It's relatively cheap, and there's local sailing year round. There's a number of windsurfers in the area who moved from up New York and even Canada to set up "shop" there. A bit of a culture shock if you're a yank I am sure. Not as windy as SF, but Hatteras is just a couple hours away.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Cape is only a few hours away from top notch skiing and snowboarding.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indian River Lagoon region on the Atlantic Coast of Florida, aka "Space Coast" and "Treasure Coast." Google it! Flatwater, waves, warmth.

Not the place for the "6.0 is my big sail" crowd, but sailable almost every day if you're willing to ride light-wind planing gear or longboard-wave gear.

xander.arch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the 5.3 is my big sail crowd will help you convince your wife to move to SF!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: