myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Capital Five-0 (wind in DC!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justall

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Capital Five-0 (wind in DC!) Reply with quote

It is rare to have stong winds, free weekend, and no lightning in DC. But, this weekend is it. Friday (started the weekend early), I was fully satisfied with my 5.0 (5.0 in DC!) at Mason Neck and today looks like it will fire again. Hope all locals get their fill (bring the wetsuit).
sdk1234

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, very rare to have 2 windy days in DC. I was at Mason Neck and had a 6.6, a bit overpowered at times but good in the lulls. I think there were 7-8 windsurfers there, possibly the whole DC windsurfing population. Any other good places for NW winds?
justall

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdk1234 wrote:
Any other good places for NW winds?

I really don't know of other options, close to DC, for winds with West in them. So, for NW through to SW, I head to Mason Neck. I like Mason best when the tide is in, so the bay isn't as shallow. My favorite DC location for N and S is still Leesylvania. Maybe someone else will chime in on other local NW.

Glad to hear everyone made it out.
sdk1234

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never sailed Leesylvania, how does it compare on south winds with Sandy Point which is where I usually go.
JduVon

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys: Welcome! Most DC area sailors are members of BABA, check their web site. They have a list serve "more downhaul" as well as a blog where people talk about where they're going sailing in any given conditions. They also do spring and fall windsurfing trips to Hatteras, prime windsurf houses on sound and very reasonable cost. There's also a separate website called "windsurf resource" with descriptions, photos and directions for all the windsurf sites w/pros and cons, etc. Invaluable resource we're all thankful for.
In general terms Mayo Beach is very popular in southerlys and summer southerly thermals, most anything w/o a lot of west (west side of bay). It's also one of BABA's home sites for events along with Gunpowder state park. Downside is you must buy a semiannual pass from the County by mail. No daily admission. It's worth it, a beatiful location to sail from. In NW/W I head across the bay bridge to Matapeake Park just south of bridge, some go to Terrapin Park on north side but seems like a mile walk to the beach, so you need a cart to haul gear. Very popular w/kiters as well. Great western exposure. Baltimore folks usually go to Rocky Point on NW. Once you get into sailing on the Bay it'll be hard to go back to Mason Neck. Enjoy!
justall

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdk1234 wrote:
I never sailed Leesylvania, how does it compare on south winds with Sandy Point which is where I usually go.

I live a good bit closer to Leesylvania than to Sandy Point, so that is one of the key pluses to me. I also like Leesylvania for its somewhat shallower launch, less swell (more likely boats can see you when doing a mid-river/bay water start), and less current. I do find Sandy Point has a few more mph on any given S or N wind than Leesylvania, and Sandy Point doesn't have the DC sewage pollution. So, for getting on the water quickly with low worries of where you'd end up with an equipment failure, I'd pick Leesylvania ... For a day with certain wind all day long, nothing else to do, and big-body of water sailing, I head to Sandy Point.

You can't go wrong at either location on nice souterlies/northerlies. That said, if I lived East of DC ... I'd probably head to Sandy Point, first.

Last edited by justall on Wed May 29, 2013 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
justall

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JduVon"]Guys: Welcome! Most DC area sailors are members of BABA, check their web site ... There's also a separate website called "windsurf resource" ... Mayo Beach is very popular in southerlys and summer southerly thermals ... In NW/W I head across the bay bridge to Matapeake Park just south of bridge ... Great western exposure [quote]

JduVon, thanks for the ideas. Yeah, I've met several of the BABA folks during various sessions, so I should indeed check out the website. I completely agree with the windsurfresource site ... very helpful, especially with the compass rose. I hesistate to head East for Westerly winds, just because it adds to my drive time, but will at some point come all the way across the bridge. Hope to see you all sailing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: