myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Carpal tunnel advice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
I would not use any opinions here as the focal point in my decision making. ANY

Definitely not, and not just because we're not experts. Even more important is that each of us is just one case ... meaningless in the grand statistical scheme of things. DAMN, but we have a tough time convincing news guys in our cancer forums that Cousin Sam's treatment choice and outcome mean absolutely ZERO to the next patient, especially compared to peer-reviewed studies including statistics based on 100,000 patients.

In your case, for example, here's one such source I wouldn't miss.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001469/
I find hours to weeks on PubMed to be invaluable before making significant medical decisions.

Could not connect to smtp host : 113 : No route to host
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not, wait, aren't we supposed to believe everything we read on the interwebs?

But I don't think the OP was here looking for a diagnosis, or expert opinion from a bunch of unknowns, just some info/stories.

Too many people get all wound up around here.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
But I don't think the OP was here looking for a diagnosis, or expert opinion from a bunch of unknowns, just some info/stories.

Too many people get all wound up around here.

Too much at stake not to. I don’t know where U2 is coming from, but I’m coming from dozens of cancer patients who don’t understand that “anecdotal evidence” is an oxymoron, from guys lying in the desert with obviously broken backs who insist that we toss them in the back of a pickup truck and take them home to heal because they can’t afford an ambulance despite riding a $5,000 desert racing bike, from young guys who don’t comprehend that important medical decisions must be made by doctors and well-informed patients rather than buds who had similar symptoms, and from guys with the idiotic “No Fear” mentality.

U2 and I aren’t willing to blow off the chance that the OP resembles one of those guys.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing your own research is definitely important. I mentioned my problems to my doc last year, and she did not even mention carpal tunnel as an issue. I thought it was B12 deficiency, since that can cause similar issues and is a potential problem for vegetarians. Seemed to be correct, since symptoms went mostly away when I started taking B12. That was chance, however - the real cause was fewer and shorter session. The doctor, who I thought was good, suggested taking vitamin D, because she had just returned from a conference on vitamin. D deficiencies are also common, but have different symptoms.

It's definitely not Lymes. I don't have any of the other symptoms, and the carpal tunnels symptoms fit perfectly, as does the cause. I sail hooked in darn close to 100% of the time, usually hooking in before planing, and staying hooked in when schlogging. The blisters I get always go away over night. I get them only after long days, which typically means 8-10 hour sessions. But I noticed that I am gripping more when overpowered, especially in very choppy conditions, with winds above 25 mph. I'll have to work on sailing a bit more relaxed in those conditions.

From this thread, previous threads about tendonitis, and random things I hear on beaches, it seems that "overuse" issues like carpal tunnel are quite common in windsurfing. I hope that becoming aware of what's going on, and improving technique, will help to avoid surgery. I definitely don't want to loose 9 months of sailing!

My $0.02 towards diagnosis and self help: recurring tingling and numbness in the thumb, first 2 fingers, and part of the ring finger indicates possible carpal tunnel syndrome. May happen in one or both hands, and is likely to be worst at night.

Wearing wrist splints and/or elastic wrist guards, especially at night, definitely helps (my symptoms went away after a couple of days). Elastic wrist guards can also help while sailing, but also concentrate on not using the hands, as suggested by several posters. Fewer and shorter sessions should also help, but that's not an attractive option Smile.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also when you go to bed, some people wear wrist braces to keep their wrists straight when asleep, that's very important.
Many people when they sleep on their back, will pull the covers up to their chin, then leave their hands on their chest with their wrists curled, kinda like a cat does when napping.
That's a huge no-no, it will just make it worse, so do what you can to prevent that if you're a heavy sleeper.

Eventhough I no longer have it, I still won't allow myself to fall asleep in that position. Being a light sleeper, I never had to use braces while sleeping.

Also a seat-type harness works best for keeping a loose grip on your booms, but you have to unhook for every jibe as well as riding a wave, so in my case, I spent a lot of time on the water unhooked, still do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: