myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mistral Shredder or Fanatic ultra shark 291
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenthomas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Mistral Shredder or Fanatic ultra shark 291 Reply with quote

I have a chance to obtain 1 of two older boards. ( I cant afford a new one right now and the price is $50).Either a mistral shredder or a fanatic ultra shark 291. I weigh 135 lbs and dont waterstart yet. I sail in 8 to 20 knot winds mostly. Which of these two boards would be better suited for me?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While both boards are very comparable in many ways, the fact that the Fanatic Ultra Shark has a more standard mast track might give it the edge over the Mistral. The Mistral Shredder has a Mistral specific mast track design that is dependent on having the right components in good working order. A Chinook or Streamlined universal can be used with the right aftermarket part for screwing it into the aluminum track.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how sound and undamaged they still are. (Over 20 years old, and may have been badly treated.)

If the Shredder is of D.C.S. (Durable Carbon System) construction, one of the best ever German builds, and has no cracks, leaks, or damage, along with a sound and fully working mast track, it would be a good buy, and perform very well indeed in a range of conditions. (Long, narrow, and a bit tippy by todays wide board standards, but smooth, fast, and satisfying.)

As Schandler says, old Mistrals used a particular U.J. bottom pin to fit their mast track. If the board comes with that old U.J. you would need to replace it. (Bound to have bad internal corrosion from age and probable long non use.) You could remove and use the old bottom pin in a new Bogie U.J. with an ordinary standard modern top pin to fit modern rigs.

If you are able to, have somebody check the board out for damage, and , if sound, go for it, and have fun.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There a nut (the big brass one in the photo) you can buy for a standard mast base so that you can put on a standard universal on a metal lipped mast track. In case you do not have the original universal or if it is in bad shape.

20130602_100914 (1024x768).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  300.96 KB
 Viewed:  22962 Time(s)

20130602_100914 (1024x768).jpg

20130602_100819 (1024x768).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  399.07 KB
 Viewed:  22962 Time(s)

20130602_100819 (1024x768).jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shredder's turn great, very good for ultra light wind wave sailing and easy smooth turning. Shark is earlier planing, can go faster, need more technical turning skills. Whichever in better shape.
Shredders orange, white, blue often come with standard mast tracks, not the aluminum Mistral track.
If it come with Mistral track, just make sure there are TWO holes in the 2" long white car. Big hole is for Mistral bases, while the smaller hole is compatitble with any modern mast base. Just screw it in.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you should get the shark...

uh, now where is that shredder located.. ?
Wink

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One's up in my loft Waiting for wind, and I won't part with it! Laughing

Funny really, how the Screamer (the original version) was the must have funboard in the dark days of the dedicated slalom board craze, and the Shredder was the big ugly sister, fit only for learners.

The Screamer has long since been superceeded in all aspects of performance (Syncro 104 way ahead, and my favourite mid range board), but the Shredder really can produce something that makes a nice change (now and again) to the modern short and fat board norm. When it's fully 'lit up' with a 7.0 sail, over a smooth sunny sea scape, you realise just what!

Variety is the spice of life, and it isn't I who moodily and sulkily kicks tin cans about the car park because the wind won't oblige, and my super radical, ultra niche latest gift to the windsurfing worlds happiness, won't get up and go.

Incidentally, if the O.P. goes for the Shredder and uses the Mistral pin fitting in the sliding mast track, be aware that the locking tab has two positions. Pressed down flush with the alloy sliders it is only semi-locked, and thye pin will pull out under shock loads. To fully lock the tab must be pressed right down into the well so that board and rig can't seperate.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Shredder resides on Oahu on the E shore. It has a black plastic mast box, white plastic A box, and is the single best wave riding board for breezes of 10-17mph (non planing) and shoulder to head high waves.
Not all Shredders, or Screamer/Stingers, came with adjustable euro tracks.
I can smoke ANYONE riding a Syncro with any old Screamer, on boat speed, anytime, anywhere. I know the Syncro is slow, easy riding, and made for beginner shortboarders, or for sailors who want EASY over fast.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we'll agree that the Shredder has charms Zirtaeb, and the Syncro 104 is not the fastest board in the world (clocked mine at 28.9 m.p.h. 10 second best speed, so not exactly a bucket towing barge), and even agree that it has an easy ride. (As did the Screamer, of course.) But if you are claiming that the Screamer is still a better all rounder than the Syncro, I'll beg to differ.

Perhaps it's a culture thing but Syncros were very popular over here - until quite a few started snapping in the hands of those who push things. (They weren't really built to take big air punishment.)

I'll give you that some Screamers weren't exactly slow, and that the D.C.S. ones could withstand some abuse, but, after re-trying mine last year and feeling a bit disappointed with it in comparison to the Syncro, it's now back up in the loft. We all have different likes and favourites, don't we?
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple fact, Screamers had slalom rocker, dead flat for over 36", while Syncro had more rocker, slight tail kick.
EVERY slalom board has at least 30" of dead flat straight rocker.
Syncro is a freeride board....easy riding but a little slow.
Perhaps you couldn't jibe the Screamer as well, and didn't plane out of jibes as easily?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: