myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Longboard Vs Formula
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On another note, I've noticed some of the older boards on ebay like the fanatic viper and mistral screamers are pretty narrow...not very long and fairly light....Im sure sure if these qualify as longboards but im guessing they should perform the same as longboards in low winds.

There are a variety of factors that impact a boards performance in light winds. Just some basic information.

1. length - more length = more glide.
2. volume - more volume = more float.
3. width - greater width = greater stability.
4. sailors weight - less volume needed for light sailors.
5. sailors skill - things that are difficult in the beginning will be easy later.
6. salt or fresh water - salt = more buoyancy.
7. fin length - large fin = less lateral sliding and more power forward.

Older boards tended to be long an narrow for a given volume.
Newer boards tend to be short and wide for a given volume.

Once planning, both short/wide and long/narrow boards are pretty stable. The significance difference is in sub planing, where narrow is much less stable.
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a great windsurfing attitude. The idea of 'I'm going windsurfing on Saturday no matter what the wind is like' is what made this sport really take off (back in 'the day').

You'd love a Kona One. An experienced 65 kg sailor would get a 3 cam 7.5 planing in 11 or 12 knots. It planes great without having to move the mast track around. The retractable centerboard will get you out to where the wind is blowing. The big hull will get you home if the wind dies.

Marginal days on a short board or formula board suck.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistral and Fanatic have used the names Viper and Screamer for some very different boards over the years. The 1992 Screamer and the 2007 Screamer are entirely different beasts, for example, although they are both definitely shortboards. Check out this article that tested the new and old screamer side by side.

http://www.boardseekermag.com/special_features/equipment/windsurfing-board-evolution-039.html

Likewise, the new and old Vipers are both longboards, but the old ones are classic narrow tippy longboards, and the new ones are moderately wide longboards like your JP Funster.

It's definitely worth trying the long narrow style to see if you like it. Old longboards are usually cheap. If you don't like the old style, it will make you appreciate your Funster much more!

inf2003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
http://www.boardseekermag.com/special_features/equipment/windsurfing-board-evolution-039.html

Hey James that was a great article to show you the pros and cons of the older narrower boards vs the new wider style. I enjoyed it. Nice find.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, excellent article, and surprising how closely it matches Boards Magazine's comparable (but much more thorough) comparison of old vs new shortboards.

It's not relevant to this thread, but for those who missed it and want to see it, it's at
http://boards.mpora.com/equipment-tests/tested-equipment/wave-test/waveboard-megatest-march-2008.html .
rgomez

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article James....thats something I was looking for.

The Kona One does look like the ideal board but its way over my budget and transportation would be a hassle.

I was looking at something like the F2 Axis at around 100-130Litres http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windsurf-Windsurfing-board-F2-/281115897866?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Windsurfing_CV&hash=item4173d0300a

I dont really mind a harder learning curve as I do love a challenge but I wanna make my windsurfing experience funner than just pottering around on a wide board
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At your weight in 10-15 knots I think you should be looking at 120-150 liters. That F2Axis is a 15-20 knot board for you and will never fit a 7.5 rig.

Coachg
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself an 8.5 modern freeride NON CAMBERED sail and you'll be screaming on that Funster in 10-15 mph winds. To make it way more easier to uphaul step as far as possible on the windward rail and let the other rail to lift the sail out of the water. If you want to plane as often as possible you just can't go around a big sail /or a kite/.
Get yourself a small board too- for the windy days/there got to be some, you are not in Seattle right?- you'll make a faster progress on it.
sailwave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg comment - If you do go the formula route, disregard the myth about needing 9+ meter sails, a formula board will plane fine with your 7.5 and an upper 58-60 cm fin for a rider around 170 lbs, it just won’t go as far up/down wind as it will with a larger setup.

Sailwave comment - I totally agree, you don't need a giant sail on a formula board as long as you get a larger formula, 170 liters min, then it is not that technical to sail as well. I use a 60cm fin and a 7.8 two camber sail and I plane in 10-12 knots. I'm 180 lbs. Mine is a 2002 Exocet, 99cm wide, 170 liter board. Here is video of rather fun low wind planing on this rig. Also an image of my board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvGoqPxDDEM

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.1 KB
 Viewed:  13237 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey rgomez,

I hear what you're saying about the expense and size of the Kona. But, to me, expensive = buying something you won't use. And a 'hassle' = going windsurfing, and not having the equipment that you need to enjoy the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: