myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New to the sport, Mistral One Design for beginners?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perch, that's a great board you can have a lot of fun with. and make rapid progress on. It's not a real hard board to sail. I think you'll find it a bit more tippyin light winds because it's more narrow than the board you learned on. I'ts 64 cm. wide 12 feet long and 235 litres. Sounds like you did real well with your lesson ,much better than average. It took me years to learn to jibe!

It's kind of like a swiss army knife type of board, you can sail it in winds from 5-35 mph! Sounds like a very fair deal to me I don't think you could go wrong getting it. With it's retractable dagger board it'll go up wind real good, making it easy to get back to from where you started. It can also be sailed like a short board when the wind picks up, though it won't turn as sharpley.
konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one design will work at that price. But in a perfect world, I would put you on a Mistral Prodigy. Maybe that's what you started your lesson with. At your skill level, weight, and sailing conditions, board volume is your friend. A retractable centerboard will improve your ability to get back to where you started. Don't touch a board without one.

If you were lucky enough to find a Mistral Prodigy with a black centerboard and black fin, that would be the ticket. And like the Mistral one design, it has a HUGE wind range.

The Prodigy is known as a 'hybrid' board. Any one of them would work for you. I know that Exocet and Bic made hybrid boards, too.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
That one design will work at that price. But in a perfect world, I would put you on a Mistral Prodigy.

I think that depends a lot on what kind of sailing you'll end up doing, and how much of a challenge you want. The Prodigy will be a bit easier to sail, and might also be better to get you planing. But since you were put onto a smaller board during your first lesson, I think you'll be fine on the One Design. It should have enough volume, but won't be as stable, and a bit harder to turn. But on a typical light wind day, the sensation of sailing an old longboard like the One Design is much nicer than sailing a wider, newer board. The price seems right if the board is in decent shape, and if you can use the sails.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mistral One Design's narrowness will provide a bit more of a challenge, but I'm thinking that you will be able to handle it without too much difficulty. If the board is in as good of shape as you say, I would definitely go for it. Although you haven't given us much information about the mast, sails and the boom, the price for the board alone isn't out of line. By the way, most all booms are adjustable (except very ancient ones from the 70s). If the boom is a clamp-on type, as opposed to a tie-on type, it will be easy to rig to the mast and it will provide a tight wiggle-free connection.
PerchLaker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went and checked out the F2 and had to pass, pretty rough shape. Driving a couple of hours Sunday night to look at the One Design with the intention of bringing it home. will have all the details then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: