myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf Booties: Which Ones Work?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Windsurf Booties: Which Ones Work? Reply with quote

Which windsurf booties does everyone use? Most I've seen are pretty bulky to slide in and out of the straps.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on lots of factors.
Those with wide feet want to avoid split toes with side re-inforcement.
Those who need tread thickness on the bottom for reefs or cement need thick solid soles.
Round toes without side tread slip into straps easily.
You can alway widen strap mounts by one hole.
Those who can't bend to reach my feet need low top booties.
Why do YOU need booties and what for?
nodak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to keep my feet from getting cut up on the corals. My feet are narrow. So I'd need something with a slim and low profile.
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booties are personal preference. I've seen ALL different types, including tennis shoes (and used several diff types). Getting out of the straps are the concern with most people so a thin sole without tread is usually better.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurf Booties: Which Ones Work? Reply with quote

Everybody uses O'Neil split toes. OK, maybe not everybody, just the really
good sailors, OK maybe not just the really good sailors, just the really
good wave sailors, Ok, maybe not just those guys either, maybe just the
really good wave sailors with wussie feet, OK maybe not just those guys.....

;*)

-Craig

nodak wrote:
Which windsurf booties does everyone use? Most I've seen are pretty bulky to slide in and out of the straps.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never understood why the diminutive is used for neoprene boots, which are in no way smaller/daintier/cuter than any other boots one would wear; it's stupid.

That said, I like O'Neil boots, I've had several pairs. Yes, the split toe boots are a little less "boot-like", but if (like me) you suffer from easily damaged and sensitive big toes/nails, then AVOID the split toe boots and get the regular toed boots. Your big toes will thank you.

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually try to avoid recommending by brand, because EVERY company makes a good bootie for someone.
Round toes slip in and out the easiest.
The less side padding, the narrower the bootie.
High tops protect your ankles, which don't like to heal from tropical abrasions.
Low tops are easy on and off, but leave the ankle bone exposed to reefs when you're waterstarting. Fin is a consideration also.
You will end up with what you can find, not what is ideal.
jmakers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Windsurf Booties: Which Ones Work? Reply with quote

I always found that without the split-toes, my feet would slide inside the booty, and my toes would get horribly scrunched. It can happen from sliding into the straps (it grabs on the fabric while your foot is free to keep *trying* to slide in). It can happen when you're applying lateral pressure to the board/fin (e.g. pumping the fin in light conditions).

As uncomfortable as the split-toe sensation is (I hate putting them on; takes alot more getting used to than flip-flops), it is far better than the scrunched toe sensation (pain of which can last for days!), and the lack of control if/when the neoprene gets weaker (especially at the toe) and allows your foot to slide around inside the booty. I like the low rise for summer, seems to hug foot better, high top for cold.

I, too, have narrow feet, and the O'neill's fit me well (especially the low rise with a bungy around the ankle and strap over top). I like how there's some rubber over the top of the toes so they keep their shape, preventing motion inside the booty, but no lip on them to hang up on the strap.

You have to adjust your straps for the booties use, maybe a bit looser than you would for barefeet.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this was mentioned, but I think an arch strap is critical because it helps control or even prevent the foot from sliding forward inside the boot. It helps prevent jammed-up toes and provides a positive interface between the board and your foot. Otherwise, pick your poison.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arch strap a huge priority, helping keep your foot back away from the front of the booties.
As a surfer since 1965, I wore split toe booties as soon as they came out, around 1968 from Oneill. Always had a pair until '11. Last year, bought some roundtoe's with the arch strap. WAY TO GO!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: