myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf Booties: Which Ones Work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are FAR to many decent one s to pick a best.

Really, do you want summer, do you want cold water, do you want minimalist product to retain maximum feel, hi top lo top

and the list goes on.

GUL , Atan, O'Neil, X-Cel surf , are all in my van

Split toe, or internal split toe, and ankle strap, maybe yes maybe no

GUL by far are the best low, 3mm I have used.

X-Cel the warmest, but a total PITA to install and remove , unless

I get help:

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found with thinner neoprene like 1 or 1.5 mil I can get a much tighter fit and scrunching the toes isn't such a problem because they stretch and fit more like socks but the sole isn't thick enough to protect from rocks and coral so I need to wear the 3.5 mil size and they need to be larger so as not to crunch my toes.
I ordered a bunch of them from Amazon and kept the pair I like, free shipping on returns.
My feet are narrowish and I ended up with O'Neil split toes. The Xcel's had a thicker sole but the fit was wider if I recall.
Definitely get high tops for around coral like Lee says, your foot can fall down in a hole and get chewed to hell.
I wish they could figure out a way for the water to let out so they don't swell up like clown feet, little one way valves maybe?
xander.arch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atan madi split toe for me. Very thin sole barefoot feel. They are basically wetsuit socks with the foot dipped in urethane. Not super durable, but lasted two seasons for me. They have no buckles and/or protrusions so your feet slide in and out if the straps easily which gives me peace of mind. Ive also tried the O'Neil ninja which got shredded after 6 sessions. They are also basically wetsuit socks with a very thin rubber sole. I wouldn't recommend them. They are designed for the waxed or padded decks only. Non skid eats them alive.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love thin split toe boots that are more like socks because they offer protection from clams etc. but still let me feel the board really well. I hate them every time I stub my toes, though (and that is several times each session). I have the feeling that my 2nd toes constantly get banged up in them, trying to get into straps or stepping towards the mast base.

Fit is everything. Several times, I have bought exactly the same boots a year later (same brand, kind, size, thickness), only to discover that they ended up fitting differently. Even very small changes in design can make big differences. A bit too wide, and sliding inside the boot means crunched toes, as others have mentioned. Size 11 this year may be different from size 11 last year.

Your best bet is to go to a store and try on the different boots they have. Consider buying a couple of different pairs, at least if you get to sail often. They won't last forever, anyway, and different styles have different strength and weaknesses (and different places where your feet end up hurting if you sail enough).
justall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd cast a vote for the O'Neill Superfreak tropical split toes, if you don't need warmth. Reasonable protection on coral/shells while still giving you 'feel' in the straps ... Even did OK when a large fiddler crab decided to grab my foot. The best thing about them, for me, is both the strap over the top of the foot AND the drawstring around the ankles ... these are great for keeping the booties securly on your feet when kicking in the water to reposition (especially if you have narrow feet and ankles).
hitech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Pryde 3K Series booties have worked well for me. I am on my second pair and each has lasted 2-3 seasons, which is pretty good for booties. The model number that I can still read looks like WNPFT-B392 if that helps. They have the arch strap and a toe that lasts.
I also have a narrow foot and these fit well. Wouldn't sail without them.
The manufacturers seem to change models frequently so good luck.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justall wrote:
I'd cast a vote for the O'Neill Superfreak tropical split toes, if you don't need warmth. Reasonable protection on coral/shells while still giving you 'feel' in the straps ... Even did OK when a large fiddler crab decided to grab my foot. The best thing about them, for me, is both the strap over the top of the foot AND the drawstring around the ankles ... these are great for keeping the booties securly on your feet when kicking in the water to reposition (especially if you have narrow feet and ankles).

+1
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atan are the best IMO. Split toe when it gets warmer, round with a neo socks when very cold. They are light and elastic and don't need a front strap, very durable too. The closest to barefoot.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Atan are the best IMO. Split toe when it gets warmer, round with a neo socks when very cold. They are light and elastic and don't need a front strap, very durable too. The closest to barefoot.

I heard they were a PITA to get off though? Other than that I have only heard positive things about them.

-Kevin
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurf Booties: Which Ones Work? Reply with quote

My favorites are XCel 1mm split toe. They work like socks, and the split toe is actually connected by the sole so you do cannot get tangled with the straps. They also have a 3mm version that I use in winter. http://us.shop.xcelwetsuits.com/p/surf/accessories/boots/infiniti-reef-split-toe-1mm?style=AN153813
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: