myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Incompetent Kiter-1; Anita Rock Wind Sensor-0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petersayour

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kevin, just get out the way. You just don't know the skill level or whether someone knows the rules of the road. I do this with kiters and windsurfers.

I was sailing mid bay heading back to Anita last year, when I glanced over my shoulder and saw a kiter on a longboard screaming straight downwind right at me.

Did I have right of way? Yes.

Did I get out of his way? Yes and quickly.
jp5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petersayour wrote:
I agree with Kevin, just get out the way. You just don't know the skill level or whether someone knows the rules of the road. I do this with kiters and windsurfers.

I was sailing mid bay heading back to Anita last year, when I glanced over my shoulder and saw a kiter on a longboard screaming straight downwind right at me.

Did I have right of way? Yes.

Did I get out of his way? Yes and quickly.

Yes, let's hear it for common sense!
wndsrfrmn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
they had to pull me out for liability reasons and i was actually a navigational hazard.

That is the way I look at kites when I am windsurfing; a navigational hazard. Give them wide berth.

I know about starboard tack, but how exactly does that work when you are on port and a kiter is heading straight for you? Do I pinch up a couple of feet and pass upwind or do I yield and drop 50 feet downwind? Kites take up a lot of room.

There are a lot of cool responsible people on the water in all manner of vessels. It's the reckless irresponsible few who ruin it for everyone.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurray for those who are constructive here, and realize that just dumping on the kiters is not the best way to get them educated. It would be nice if we could get a discussion that included kiters, and that the Crissy regulars and those who teach would help organize and educate the group.

SFBA represents kiters as well as windsurfers, and has two kiters on our board to help. But we are also struggling as to how to establish an outreach and safety education program that would reach the new users and those who want to do tricks. Nothing wrong with being new, nothing wrong with tricks, the issue is how to do it safely. It would be nice to see a contingent of Crissy kiters at the next SFBA meeting, July 16 at the St. Francis at 7:30 to help figure this out.

Here is why. Crissy is a National Park, and under the control, from the landside, of the Federal Park service. Both the State and the Federal government have an ownership interest in the water, and generally it is available for all users. But the Feds can establish, by regulations, restrictions on both the land and the water that will make access to the water more difficult. SFBA has, for nearly thirty years, persuaded them that a voluntary approach with education is superior. So far we have been successful. I'm not as much worried about a broken sensor as I am about an injury to a non kiter on the beach.

We have heard pretty clearly from the Coast Guard that we need to work harder at educating SUP users and kiters about the rules of the road and about the ability to self-rescue. Any constructive user is welcome at the next SFBA meeting to help figure out how to do that.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules of the Road (in the following order)

1. Don't be a jerk
2. Starboard Tack over Port Tack
3. Leeward vessel over windward vessel

I've heard some interpretation of Rule 2 that one needs to only recognize the kiter and not his kite downwind of him but I think rule number 1 trumps that interpretation.
jchang10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://plus.google.com/photos/115483447771222482504/albums/5889871752733861233?authkey=CJ6U14TMgoCNvgE

i sent the original pics to Mike direct.

Jae
bmmiller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updating everyone, it looks like our sensor maintenance team will be headed out to repair Anita Rock early next week. They're working hard to keep the downtime to a minimum.

Thanks for all your input and support in helping us get the sensor back up quickly. A special thanks to Jae for his photos!
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone knows this a$$hat's name, then iW can certainly pursue a civil claim for damages against the guy, given that the sensor is private property. Whether you'd ever see the money if you got a judgment against him, however, is an open question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: