myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Repair Clinic Candlestick THIS Sun 6/23
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Board Repair Clinic Candlestick THIS Sun 6/23 Reply with quote

It appears there is not many board repair options left in the Bay.

After seeing some gnarly repairs in the last few days, (as well as people staring longingly at the new board they have with the giant crack in it that they cannot sail) I think the Bay needs some board repair lessons.

Plus after last weekend's epic winds I bet there are some new dings in town.

Did a couple really successful repair clinics last year and found Candlestick to be the wonder spot. The fence is made up of board racks, both sideways for rail dings and flat for top deck problems.

I will bring out the generator and the grinder, carbon epoxy and all the tools. And we will fix your boards and learn how to repair, nose dings, rail cracks, soft spots, heal dents etc. The only thing we can't really do is bottom delaminations as that requires a vacuum bag or a heavy duty vacuum.

In previous sessions we have had 6 heads with 6-7 boards and gotten them all done in an afternoon with the exception of contact cementing the pads back down.

So if you are into it shoot me an email at Wyattmiller525@gmail.com

Cost will be $120 (because carbon,epoxy and gorilla glue are waaay more expensive thatn you think). But that is probably cheaper than having someone else fix your board.

Come learn effective quick board repair at Candlestick next Saturday.

Screen Shot 2013-06-10 at 11.50.59 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  424.81 KB
 Viewed:  18502 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2013-06-10 at 11.50.59 AM.png

Last edited by wyattmiller on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like how the board repair clinic comes the weekend after the loop clinic. Wink
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ya the timing does make sense, cause some nose dings, fix some nose dings. But there must have been plenty created in last weekends epic winds.

Good business model though huh?
bobby25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My board is pretty soft between the front and back straps i think just from water starting pressure do you have a good fix for that??
eastie1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wyatt,
Any chance you might do the repair clinic another time.
I got Father's Day obligations this Sunday.

Thanks!
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I have a few people with Fathers day plans who want to do it next weekend so I think we will do on Sunday the 23rd as well.

And ya I have a great method for fixing soft spots involving Gorilla Glue, water, duck taped screws and biax carbon. Sounds strange but it works better than anything.
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Gorilla Glue ??? Reply with quote

Hi Wyatt,

I have heard Gorilla Glue mentioned a few times, but the bottles say not to use it on anything with styrene and I thought the EPS foam in most boards is styrene and therefore the glue would melt the internal foam away.

Am I all wet (so to speak) or is there a method you have up your sleeve that allows the Gorilla Glue to be used.

I know, I know, you need to take the class to find out........right?

Windward1
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ya well the method gets even crazier than melting the foam,

You actually inject a few drops of water in each hole first then inject the gorilla glue, the GG reacts with the water and starts foaming up like crazy then you plug all the holes and the GG expands like crazy and cures harder than the expanding foam you can buy at tap plastics. It may melt the foam a little bit but it cures really hard. You have to be careful of temp, I have done it in cold weather where it took 48 hrs to fully harden and I have done it baking in the sun where it took 2 hrs to harden and expanded so much it actually raised the deck, which was slightly undesired but the board is still going strong and has not gotten soft again 3 years later.
bobby25

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injecting water into my board sounds scary but I will heed your advice.

I am in if you are doing it this sunday, what time to we meet?
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya we are in for this Sunday at candlestick at 11:00 till we finish and hopefully get a sesh while the epoxy is drying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: