myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Roadtrip Ideas SFO to Gorge...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctormast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Roadtrip Ideas SFO to Gorge... Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm packing the wife and the dog for a trip up to the Gorge from San Francisco in a few weeks. Does anyone have any pet friendly ideas for breaking up the trip into 2 days?

I'm thinking B&B or Hotels that may be worth checking out, Non windsurfing ideas along the way are also appreciated. Hikes to cool waterfalls, Wineries, not to miss sites or restaurants, etc.

For example we went via Crater Lake last year. We stayed in Prospect in a cool/funky hotel (pet friendly) and went for hikes around the waterfalls, before checking out crater lake and then going up to the Gorge via Bend.

This year we were thinking a coastal route might be fun, but don't really know the best sites to stay at along the way.

Help from the gallery is appreciated....

Best,
DrMast
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yer hands on the official Oregon Coast Guide. You can probably find your way to it from http://www.oregoncoasttravel.net/ .

But two days? Dude, your jaw will stay at knee level for two weeks even if you don't get any wind and never even reach the Gorge. It's the finest, most accessible (100% public access, with every inch documented in the travel guides), variable, and beautiful coastline on the continent, with countless fascinating and unique shoreline hikes and playgrounds and dunes and forests and tidal pools for man and dog. And Oregon may be the nation's most dog-friendly state; that shouldn't be a problem. I moved to the Gorge area 14 years ago, and long ago stopped going to the coast for WSing because the wind is fickle (oops, thank goodness for Spellcheck); I now go just for the incredible coast, and consider wind a bonus. The former is never disappointing even after 28 years.)

Suggestion: Gather your OR coast info and hit OR highway 101, with one eye on the literature and another on the Gorge wind forecasts. (Heck, keep another eye on the ocean and stop if you're up to ocean sailing.) If you see a Gorge forecast that sounds better than the coastline, put away the coast guide, go inland to I-5, and make a beeline for Hood River. If the Gorge looks ho-hum, stop and smell the coast roses. Most wind worth hurrying to catch is forecast a day or two in advance, plenty of time to ignore the coast and just drive. The Gorge blows only a day or three most weeks; it's a gamble. The coast, however, is a sure thing. Dawg will like the coast better, and so will the wife if she's not going to WS in the Gorge.
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice, non judgmental, non political post iso! There's hope!

Agreed on the Oregon coast and watching the gorge forecast. Whatever you do don't miss Sea Lion Caves. Funky but very cool.

Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out cabins and yurts at Oregon state parks along the coast. Miles and miles of beautiful, empty beaches. Stop at Floras Lake even if the wind isn't blowing. It's that beautiful. A great place to do some flat water sailing too.
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the rogue river meets the coast (blanking on the town name it will come to me after I hit send). Get a hotel there and then do a jet boat ride up the rogue. Lots of non-windsurfing fun. On the way there check out pistol river. Then continue on up the coast playing tourist 😃
rlemmens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to gold beach and sail pistol river. Stay in the beachcomber or camp at Ireland's rv park both are right on the water if its windy you don't even have to drive to pistol. It's about 6hrs from sf.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get to sail Pistol River or Cape Sebastian, why not stay at the Tu Tu' Tun Lodge in Gold Beach right along the Rogue River. While I have never stayed there myself, a friend treated his wife to diner and an overnight stay for her birthday. Looks like a great place to relax and enjoy.
tomg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll toss in some ideas for the Inland Route (weather permitting of course -it can be low 90s or it can be unbearably hot) i.e. taking I-5 but going off to the east, but you'll need more than two days to see the sights: Mt. Lassen. The camp ground on the north side is excellent & and I hear the trout fishing is legendary. Burney Falls about 30 miles north of Lassen is a nice state park and worth the stop. Mt. Shasta. The town nice little, good vibe. Ashland OR, just over the boarder, besides the 3-season Shakespeare Festival there are great restaurants, nice park and abundant mountain biking options. North of there is the Rogue River w/ everything from Jet boats to whitewater rafting. Thanks for firing up my wanderlust!
philodog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another not too long detour off I-5 is to take OR 62 following the Rogue River to 97. Beautiful drive and fantastic camping along the Rogue in the Union Creek area.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big reason I have for supporting the beachcomber is because Ted, the owner, supports windsurfing and the AWT without his help the contest probably wouldn't be as successful. There's very few non-windsurfers supporting windsurfing so that's a big thing for me. Furthermore the rooms are clean and some even have hot tubs on the balcony where you just look out on the ocean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: