myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tabou Waveboard Owners Forum
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sollner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Tabou Waveboard Owners Forum Reply with quote

I would like all OWNERS of fairly recent Tabou wave boards, that would be the Pocket and the Da Curve, to have a forum to exchange experiences, tuning, longings, and the like. Therefore, I'm starting this thread.

If you are not a Tabou owner, you can stop reading here. The goal is to avoid contributions beating any particular drum about wave board philosophy or experience on other equipment, rather to see if there are in fact enough Tabou wave board owners who would like to contribute to the collective knowledge about these boards.

To start the conversation, I will let you know that I am a recent owner of a 2013 Pocket Thruster. Perhaps because this is my first departure from a single fin, I found that, while I loved the slashy feel, all those fins back there created significant drag both before and after planing. I have been experimenting with changing the size and brand of the fins and have found significant improvements, though it's a work in progress. I will be happy to share my experiences so far if there is another Tabou wave board owner out there who is interested enough to share some of her/his experiences with their board.

I'm hoping there is a budding community out there. Please chime in if there is.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Tabou forum did at time have some useful posts.

The drag from the 3 fins on the Pocket Wave, could be corrected somewhat using K4s with 2 degree toe and asymmetrical foil.

The drag could also be less using a faster side fin, MUF, Makani BPF in conjunction with a single fin with a of thinner profile .

Since the PW or Da Curve have mutli fins which WILL have more area than a single, hence more drag , the drag problem will not disappear , but most of the plus far outweigh the relatively minus trait of muiti fins particularly in a wave board.

The 3S in tri fin would be a different story.But then I made a Rocket tri fin,
its top speed may be less, it may plane slightly slower, but it goes upwind like a banshee, and turn s like a rat with Nikes.

The tri fin , 2+1, thruster fin configuration iIS fairly well refined by FEW.

I have difficulty grasping when the board is said to be able to sailed 3 or single fin that either configuration are now optimized.

Be interested to read your size PW and whats working for you

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rlemmens

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my da curve 91 best with the thruster setup. Black project 18 or 17 in the rear with Tabou 8s in the front. I find the wider base on the Tabou thruster fins allow a little earlier planing and a lot more drive.
sollner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear there is interest. And interesting that the da curve works well in thruster mode.
U2U2U2: do you have a link to the discussion you alluded to?

I started with the stock Tabou (Zinger?) 11-cm thrusters and a 21.5 MFC K1 center fin, all of which were pretty draggy. I next tried a K4 setup: 16 center Stubby and 8 Ezzy asymmetrical thrusters with 2-degree toe in. The early planing was amazing! Much lower drag. Very slashy, but I had to be very careful with the back foot to avoid pushing out the fins. So, I replaced the Stubby with the K1 and found plenty of resistance to back-foot pressure, but the slashiness was noticeably reduced. So, I went down to the 17-cm stock Tabou Zinger. This seemed to be more draggy than even the K1, but also easy to push out when headed upwind. The worst of both worlds.

For now, I think it's back to the K1 just to stay upwind. I have an 18-cm K4 on order, as well as a set of Black Project fins. I'll update as they arrive and I have a chance to try them out. In the meantime, I'd be very interested in the experience of others.
sollner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. I have an 85L PW.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

discussion.. you mean the remark about the Tabou FORUM ?

Its gone, been a goner about 2 years.

When I use K4s, I use a standard G10 center fin, the more I get into BPF the better I like them.
K4 rule //policy// what I do does not apply to Quads, then I like all K4s.

You have to be careful with K4s as the area will vary with length esp when considering the shark teeth sides, which are really small. The tri carve fins are interesting, but I don't have any of those.

as a center fin, I think I would go no larger than the 18cm in K4
unless they stiffen them up with a different composition, but like I said I like a G10 center

Windnc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Tabou Wave Board Owners Forum Reply with quote

I purchased a 2013 Tabou Pocket Wave 93 from Andy McKinney at Wind-NC last January. I love this board and for my 6'4" height and 200 lbs weight it has truely become my one board solution for 4.5 up to 6.2 sails in both ocean/waves and Sound side B&J. I have written several reports on the board which are posted on my blog "Chuck's Sea Wind Sky Chronicals" at www.windcsky.blogspot.com
For flat water and B&J sailing I sail in single fin mode using a MFC San Carlos 25cm Weed-Wave fin. I have used this fin for several ocean/wave sessions to and have found it to be very fast and maneuverable for a wave weed fin.
As for the tri-fin setup I initially sailed the stock Zinger 18cm center and 12cm side fins but at my weight could not get good enough upwind performance. So I started using a 20cm fin off my Exocet X-Wave 73 board. This fin has improved the upwind performance yet is still small enough to easily get that slashy quick turrning performance on the waves. Also, when sailing the board in tri-fin mode it is a little slower than with the single fin but despite the increased drag is plenty fast for wavesailing.
The other thing I really love about the Pocket Wave is that it is a Jumping Machine!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind n Ceee

wondered if you got the PW

You can change the character some, but fin size, try he 3 closer together,

maybe 13s and a 16cm center

OR the opposite end which is what you have now but 20--22cm 10cm sides

ask that Andy guy for specific fin advise for which ones.

sollner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone for interesting comments. Today I sailed in 17 to 20-ish wind with a 6.3 Ezzy SE, those lovely 8cm K4 Graham Ezzy asymmetricals, and a 21.5 cm MFC K1. The K1 really held in there with what is probably the largest sail I'll use on this 85 L PW, and the whole combination went upwind very nicely, both planing and slogging. The draggy fin cluster I have associated with all thrusters and quads to date was not at all apparent. There were only ankle biters for waves, but this setup is so slashy that I was able to have a lot of fun smacking their tiny lips (backside).

In higher wind with smaller sails, I think a smaller center fin would work better. The 21.5 cm did slow down the carve off the front foot a bit, but it was still very maneuverable with more weight on the back foot. Much more slashy than any other board I've owned, all of which had single fins. Comparable to a twinzer I tried, but with more upwind ability.

Bottom line: I really love this board!

Techie note: The PW thruster boxes are set with zero toe in (in fact a very small toe out on mine, doubtless unintentional). I think this is why the 2-degree toe-in of the asymmetricals frees up the drag so much, though it could be that the K4 thrusters are just more efficient. These thrusters are working so well I see no reason to try the 1-degree K4s I got other than idle curiosity. I'll report if the occasion arises.
Windnc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Tabou Wave Board Forum Reply with quote

Sollner,

Just wondering what your recommendation would be for using the GE K4 Asymmetricals and the MFC K1 fins on the Tabou PW 93 liter and considering my 200 pound weight? Perhaps go with the 10cm GE K4 2 degree toe-in fins and 22 cm MFC K1? Other ideas?

Where do you get the K4's in the US?

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: