myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best place to see Hood River fireworks show?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Best place to see Hood River fireworks show? Reply with quote

I'm coming to Gorge with the family for a long 4th of July weekend. Kids ages 11, 14, 16 with friends. We are renting a place in Mosier. We'd like to watch the fireworks show in Hood River. Where is the best place to watch it? Do they shoot the fireworks out over the river?
Thanks for any info. -Jim
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They shoot the fireworks off from the middle of the river, near the Event Site. We've had great viewing from this area which is (was?) a dirt parking lot just to the east of the Event Site. They're constructing around the Waterfront these days so not sure if that lot still the same as it was...but anywhere down on the water in that area is good viewing. We like to have dinner in town and walk down for the fireworks.

Enjoy!
Bob

Fireworks Viewing.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  885.72 KB
 Viewed:  14587 Time(s)

Fireworks Viewing.png

wendywindle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Library lawn, directly across from Mike's Ice Cream. This was a tradition for the 18 years that we raised our daughter in Hood River. Come early to stake out your spot, it's popular. While you wait, kids can have ice cream and run around on the big lawn area.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locals referred me long ago to the HR court house upstairs open-air "porch" for an unobstructed, elevated, uncrowded, panoramic, almost traffic-free view of the waterfront fireworks. If that interests you, make sure first that tree growth hasn't obscured the view. It doesn't look like it has, from the Google Earth 3D street view.

For a more homespun version, camp at Rufus and catch their Annual City of Rufus Fourth of July Fireworks Lollapalooza. I was privileged one year to catch Billy Bob and maybe Rufus hisself* setting off a couple of bottle rockets and a firecracker, as all 32 residents in the audience oohed and ahhed for the better part of a minute, followed by a puff of dust, a cloud of silence, and the knowledge that in just seven short hours we'd be riding the wet 4.2s lying rigged on the whistling sand beside us. I'd guess not even the Boston Pops and their Charles River extravaganza can beat that combination ... well, not by much, and with a HELLUVA lot more traffic.

* No offense, Billy Bob or Rufus. I grew up in a town not much bigger, and was actually impressed by that fireworks display, considering the size of the town.
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, everybody. Sounds like there are several good places to check out. I hope a great fireworks show is the beginning of a very windy long weekend!
merriam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions by Iso, Wendy and Bob. We love the Hood River fireworks. If you happen to be far east, years ago we saw the fireworks at Boardman. Also a great small hometown show at their marina. Enjoy wherever you are!
willysurf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, where in Mosier is the house you are renting? If it is on the east side of town and has a view of the river, you should have a clear view all the way to HR and will be able to view the fireworks from your yard/deck. That is what I will be doing.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be watching them from the Hatchery after a full day of sailing, and
then some imbibing. ;*)

-Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: