myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard windsup 10' asap construction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Starboard windsup 10' asap construction Reply with quote

I just took delivery of a Starboard windsup 10' in this new construction, which stands for As Strong As Possible. According to Starboard, current construction methods result in a board that will crack if a 10 kilo steel ball is dropped on it from a height of 10 cm., about 8". This new construction withstands the same test from a height of 1 meter before it cracks! Kind of hard to believe. Anyway, after seeing this board I had to have it. The rails, nose and tail are wrapped in hard rubber, so dropping the thing on rocks, cement etc. poses no problem. I sail, and paddle,now, at a beach with lots of round slippery rocks. Matunuck if less than 1 hr.

So far I am really happy with this board! It has a removable center fin instead of a dagger board that fits in a Tuttle box. The other fin box is an A box , and there are two thrusters. Stock fins are molded plastic, and I have only so far used the board with, and without the center fin which is 41 cm. I've not tried the stock thrusters and 6.5" fin, which are too small for sailing.

This board is super easy to paddle! Ive been using a Tabou Rocket 145 and an old F2 Strato and this board is much more stable and tracks real well compared to the others.

So far I have sailed more than paddled in light winds of 5-13 mph. Without the center fin this board loves to turn! Jibing is super easy, and small waves are a cinch to catch. It inspires me to try new things because of it's stability.

With the center fin the board stays upwind in the lightest of winds. I sailed in South cove yesterday in 5-12 mph. winds. The launch site was from the southern most end, with the wind dead off shore. I sailed to the other end of the cove, about 1/2 mile, and played around there where the wind was best. Getting back was easy.

Overall I am delighted that I finally have a board that I can use all the time! Sailing in 5-10 mph is fun. Now I finally understand why people like light wind freestyle. It can be a great workout. What better way to train for windsurfing than to windsurf!
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not try it with the stock thruster setup? Everyone that I know who has a sailable SUP does this, and it works well. You are using a small sail, so don't need a lot of fin. If you want to go upwind, heel the board to windward.

Have fun with your board, it sounds super cool!!
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a try Dennis. The main reason I have not tried the stock fin was because it needed sanding to fit in the finbox, and I have been too impatient! Perhaps with the thrusters and the 6.5" fin there will be enough surface area. Also I've used the board mostly with a 7.5 Ezzy Cheetah, which feels a bit big. Next size down is a 5.8, which is a lot easier to throw around.
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!!
Once I put a mast-track on my Converse I forgot about the paddle-not good for the waistline Sad. But who cares, its soo much more fun with a sail! Enjoy! Show us some pictures please!
wstt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Starboard windsup 10' asap construction Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
The rails, nose and tail are wrapped in hard rubber, so dropping the thing on rocks, cement etc. poses no problem.

Any update on the board's durability? I'm specifically curious about the hard rubber rails. If someone dragged them across a concrete parking lot, do you think the rubber would just break off, or just get a little scuffed?
Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: