myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona One broken centerboard holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Kona One broken centerboard holder Reply with quote

Bummer! I pulled my centerboard out today to McLube it and discovered that one of the plates that holds the centerboard puck was cracked in two at the bottom of the circle. I don't know how long it has been like that but I have had a difficult time with this centerboard since I started sailing Kona. I went sailing anyway today with it broken. It is now in the shed drying as I put a thin layer of epoxy over the crack. I will have to sand it down so it slides back in. What is that part called? I am going to call Progressive Monday AM to see if I can get another one. I leave for Michigan in 2 weeks and I really am looking forward to sailing the Kona on Lake Michigan. I don't think I will sail with it broken anymore because the puck on the opposite side is wearing unevenly. Any other Kona folks had this problem?
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have this problem last summer, but I will check again. My centerboard operates easily.

You can also drill a hole a the end of the crack to make sure it will not propagate further. (unless it is allready in 2 parts?)
Darbonne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The epoxy job seems to be holding for now. Just ordered a new set of plates from Progressive. $35.00 shipping today. They had them in stock which makes me wonder if they fail often. Oh well, I am glad they had them. Hopefully Sailkote will fix this problem once and for all. I attached a pic of the break. You can also see another crack near the break. Sailboarder, do you lube your centerboard?

IMG_7936.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.49 KB
 Viewed:  13977 Time(s)

IMG_7936.JPG

whitevan01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailkote is a great idea. I use it on the c/b on my megacat. also, if you put 100% virgin olive oil on your gasket, that helps enormously also.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used lubrication on the daggerboard.

With booties, it was never a problem to operate it. Barefoot is different!

I used the board today but forgot to look to see if I have a crack. I doubt I will since I'm quite nice with it. I never kick the daggerboard, I always "pull" or "push" it.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to be kind to it, however it has gotten stuck in the up position several times. I obviously exerted to much force on it.
Wavelover

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that Kona stands behinds its product and would replace it for free, it is for sure defect that was there from the start.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was a defect. I think I broke it. I should have lubed it when I got the board. I thought it was supposed to be stiff and would loosen up over time. I sailed Sunday and it operated much easier with sailkote. When I got home I pulled the CB and my expoxy job did not hold. Oh well I got the new plates yesterday. I think I still need a bit more lube as the CB still gets stuck about 9/10's of the way up. Live and learn. BTW I got the board as a used charter from Gulfport Boardsports. It was like new, and a lot less $$$. Good way to get a Kona One.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: