myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving forward as more folks kite on surfboards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericandholly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Moving forward as more folks kite on surfboards Reply with quote

1. Most kiters on surfboards at this point are windsurfing crossovers. We are kinda done with the jumping thing and now are basically "windsurfing" on a kite.

2. Many younger folks who did not windsurf are now getting into kiting on a surfboard. Some of them just ride swell, other do strapless airs

3. The removal of the White Salmon dam has pretty much trashed the nice swells at the mouth of the White Salmon.

4. We are going to see more and more kiters in the Swell/Cheap/Hatchery zone, as well as the Rufus corridor.

5. Charging kiters is really rude, dangerous, and inappropriate. If folks charge me, or yell at me to go away, I stay. In fact, I will stay longer than I was planning as I will not be driven away by an $$$hole.

6. Just like my 25 years of windsurfing, if one smiles, and points at something they want to ride, regardless of "right of way," I almost always yield.

7. Shane, Spencer, Tina, Bob and several other of my windsurfing friends are really fun to share swells with on big days.

8. IF you feel cut off ect by someone on a kite, wave them down and try to have a calm conversation.

9. We are mostly dealing with crowds now. I saw a woman sailing nearly take out a kiting buddy at The Wall yesterday. She didn't mean to. She waved, said sorry, no problem.

10. ALL of this happened in the late '90's when you had to get to The Hatch by 9 am just to park. The water was nuts.

11. Kiting is not going away, share, or be amazingly frustrated and pissed off all of the time.

12. Most of us fill in the spaces between Cheap and The Hatch, Cheap and Swell, and the lower Hatch. Some windsurfers do the same. Kiters on surfboards are looking for THE EXACT SAME TERRAIN as you are. Most kiters are not jumping in those areas, but some are. A lot of the Windsurfers are hucking at Kodak Point regardless of who is down wind of them, how close etc.

I'm done

Respectfully,
Eric Cohn
Hood River
jota

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with almost all of the above - except you have to realize that kiters take up a LOT more room. That is the major point which you fail to mention.

Two kiters can dominate a stretch of swell at the expense of many windsurfers (especially the guy who kept crashing his kite at cheap yesterday - but that is rare I admit).

I'm happy to sail with kiters but appreciate it when they move on . . . if they pass through, do a few reaches and continue downriver, then do the same on their way back, I'm fine. If they stay in one zone for an extended period, it does affect all of the sailors trying to farm the same swell. And if it's three or more, they will take over.

I am friends with many kiters that come through and happy to see you, but I have missed countless good swells because of a kiter or two. Please keep moving through - no rush, but keep moving.

Now I am going out . . .
ericandholly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

Good point. It's much easier for a kite to stay in the zone. Better for "us" to cycle through as a windsurfer would.
ciobst

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you post an identical post last year about this? Looks like you're just pouring gas on a dying flame, and while you have many suggestions for everybody else, I have one for you. Let it go. Today was a big day on a holiday weekend and I can count the number of kiters from the hatchery to swell on three fingers. It simply is not a problem unless a kite is down in the water off the point which causes a cluster f¥€k for everybody. Your messages are condescending ramblings laden in friction and passive agressive garble. Do us all a favor and button it.
ldhr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jota wrote:

I'm happy to sail with kiters but appreciate it when they move on . . . if they pass through, do a few reaches and continue downriver, then do the same on their way back, I'm fine. If they stay in one zone for an extended period, it does affect all of the sailors trying to farm the same swell. And if it's three or more, they will take over.

Jota - why do you get to stay and farm the swell while the kiters must "do a few reaches and continue downriver" ?
Why should a windsurfer have priority and kiters relegated to "ride a few waves and move on" ?You do realize we launch at the event Site and have to sail upwind for 2 miles to access good swell?
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11. Kiting is not going away, share, or be amazingly frustrated and pissed off all of the time.

As near as I can tell from your annual "Kiting Manifesto" you are the one that appears to be "amazingly frustrated and pissed off all the time". Your posts get more condescending each year. Now you are not only targetting windsurfers, but strapped kiters and twin tip riders as well, (didn't see this on NW Kite Forum).

FYI, you are not surfing because you are being dragged on a "surf board" up or down the river. Go to the Coast and try it some time. It involves paddling and the wave providing the energy.

I have ridden with many kiters at many sites on the river, at the Coast, and in Baja with no issue. I actually enjoy riding in really good swell or waves with experienced kiters as much as, if not more than windsurfers. I do not enjoy riding with wave hogs or kooks on any kind of board.

If you are at a poker table and can't spot the patsy, you are it. Check your mirror.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Jota - why do you get to stay and farm the swell while the kiters must "do a few reaches and continue downriver" ?
Why should a windsurfer have priority and kiters relegated to "ride a few waves and move on" ?

Finally, ldhr and I agree on something. I don't like them clogging up the swell, but as long as they keep their lines and kites in the air and make some room for me, they have the same rights I do there.

Dammit.

Last edited by isobars on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhanson928

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving forward as more folks kite on surfboards Reply with quote

[quote="ericandholly"]1. Most kiters on surfboards at this point are windsurfing crossovers. We are kinda done with the jumping thing and now are basically "windsurfing" on a kite.

2. Many younger folks who did not windsurf are now getting into kiting on a surfboard. Some of them just ride swell, other do strapless airs

quote]

Boy, aren't we the lucky ones now? (just being snarky there)

Really though, "done with the jumping thing"? I still see a lot of dangling going on. I saw one guy kicking his board loose on purpose, while way high up on his strings...letting it blow away from about 20 feet up. Then he'd lower himself into the river and body drag back upwind to re-unite with his board. What's up with that?

Not being a kiter or a trick windsurfer I've never experienced the thrill of doing a double whirly-gig sail around three times backwind fin first jibe on my sailboard, nor have I done any cats-cradle up in the air backflips whatever, on kites...I guess the challenge is the thing...thinking up a new combo of contorted maneuvers, then doing it eventually, and making it look like fun. Something to do if you get bored with it all?

I agree about the dinks on any type board and about rude wave-hogs. Let's not get combative on our swells...It's all about having fun, we're not getting paid for it, nor do we own any part of the river or coast ...Having someone take off on a wave you're obviously involved with, that is irritating, yes...but selfish kooks do exist..
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Strong wind + fat swell = special considerations for all. Reply with quote

I don't care what sort of craft you sail. When it becomes like the ocean on the river, here is what I would like to see:

1) Everybody, for the love of Zephyrus, please, look upwind frequently. There is a lot of downwind surf-style happening, and it's good to be aware of anybody who is upwind riding swell in order to avoid collision.

2) If you can't handle the conditions, get off that part of river. Kiters: you MUST be in control and be able to keep the kite in the air and the board with you. Crowded areas with fat swell are no place to repeatedly make mistakes. I think most (90%+) kiters get this.

3) Forget about the downwind craft having right of way; the whole point (in big conditions) is to surf swell. Let the surfers (kiter or windsurfer) have rights! Avoid collisions.

3.5) If you think the swell can be shared and you can handle it, go for it. THAT can be super-fun, a true shared experience in a mostly-solopsistic activity! Being on the same point of sail can make it work. But be prepared to deviate based on the lead surfer. Leave room for the leader to turn at will. Share the swell ride, if it can be shared.

4) EVERBODY LOOK UPWIND frequently. And yield to the surfers (even though you may technically have rights). I cannot emphasize this enough. If you want to mow the river, please leave the swell to those who want to surf it. Surf is a terrible thing to waste.

And now for some words from Isobars...
Razz

P.S. EVERYBODY LOOK UPWIND FREQUENTLY!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong wind + fat swell = special considerations for all. Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
And now for some words from Isobars... Razz

Ooooh ... a challenge! OK, here goes: I agree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: