myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Heavy sailor, light wind wave and bump board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcharlton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 215lbs and love my 116 Tabou 3S. Also love my 96 3S as well.

The 116 gives some good float but feels like a 96ltr board after it gets planing, it turns beautifully! Like you, I like maneuverability over speed.

DC
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maui demo's are bad news. if one likes something in maui, quite often it is too slow to plane elsewhere. if one is scared of the planing power on maui.....

most notably, if a board has tons of rocker and has lots of double concave aft, it won't provide early planing.

why my obsession for planing power? in lighter onshore winds with a flowwing current, those with maui specific stuff sit and wait for a forecast that may never come. seen it, time and again. meanwhile, those with realistic gear get far more rides in.

cross 114 turns great, yet planes early. look for boards like that. X-cross 115 and 130 plane early with lots of sail.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more comment. i've not seen many successfully sail multi fin boards in light wind waves, no matter what the size board. i've tried lots of times. unless the wind is hammering, and the definition of light wind is 18-25, multi's tend to suck in florida.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
nodak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
X-cross 115 and 130 plane early with lots of sail.

Exocet website says the XCross 115 calls for sails 6.0 - 8.0. It's 5 cm wider than my Kona One, so it must be pretty stable.

What, I can't put a 5.0 sail on the XCross 115 in high wind?

I see they also named it a "Freemove" board. Could this be first short board after Kona One?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misread the OP, a repalcement for the Kombat, but maybe the X-Cross,

which is to me an entirely different board.

rode the 115L X -Cross with a 7.5m Ezzy Cheetah, probably just over min planing winds.

This board is among the very few, I would say is one of the best boards I have ridden. It sails so easy. for a 75cm wide board it jibes nice, standard fin was fine. It had a single rear strap, would have preferred a double. My self I would not consider it as a wave board, B&J some swell would be fine, aside from of course flat water.

if you go X-Cross the 115L was great

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
maui demo's are bad news. if one likes something in maui, quite often it is too slow to plane elsewhere. if one is scared of the planing power on maui.....

I had a custom-painted HiTech "wave/slalom" (FSW, in today's lexicon?) made for mainland use minny moons ago. It arrived just before I left for Maui, so I didn't get to ride it before leaving (and I carry only one small duffel bag to Maui). I rented the same board from HiTech on Maui.

I hated it so badly that I asked if I could return mine when I got home. It wouldn't plane for crap! They laughed and said, "Yours is a mainland board. The same model built for use here is a banana in comparison. If you don't love it there, we can work something out."

I loved my mainland version; it actually planed.

The same caveat goes for much of the Gorge. Its usual chop and current provide warped perceptions of boards.
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: How mcuh wind do you have to work with and your in the Ocean Reply with quote

How much wind do you have to work with and your in the Ocean?
Exocet Xwave 111 might work or an older RRD freestyle wave 120 for even more flotation. If you want to maneuver as in do tricks you are to have to go down
to between 95 and 110 liter I think . At 215 lbs its not I can uphaul a 115 but at 105 it gets kind of hard though still possible , under 100 liters and its nearly impossible. But if your in rough seas it get to be nearly impossible anyway.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard freestyle/wave type board seems to top out around 115 liters volume and 70 cm wide. There are some great ones at that size, which other people have mentioned, but it sounds like you need something with a little more volume and/or planing power.

So I'd say your options are:

1. A "longboard waveboard," like the Exocet Curve or Windsup. It would have great waveriding performance and great ability to get you out through the surf and away from the jetty-of-doom, even in non-planing conditions. Some longboard waveboards are good for freeriding, but you're not really supposed to jump them...

(Although try to tell that to Ingebritsen- http://www.continentseven.com/2010/09/28/port-canaveral-florida-jetty-park/ )

2. A "freemove shortboard," like the Exocet X-Cross, RRD FireMove, or Fanatic Gecko. Since the freemoves go up to about 140 liters, and are significantly wider for a given volume than a comparable freestyle/wave board they could give you the extra getup and go that your Kombat didn't have. I rode the 110 liter FireMove. It was great for bump and jump and jibing, and I think it would work ok in waves. (I'm 165 lbs)

Another big shortboard that people have used for waveriding is the HiFly Madd (twin fin, 115, 135, 160 liters). The big Angulo shortboards are also pretty wavy.

Good luck. And post some pictures of the Washington Coast wavesailing if you get the chance!

-James

tthole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good information here. I am in a similar situation although I am a different weight and looking for a lite wind onshore board in NorCal.

Boards are designed for the standard conditions around the globe and be sold in large numbers. I don't think you are going to find the perfect production board for what you want to do. Therefore I suggest you consider a custom board talk to a shaper, tell them what you want and see what they can do for you. I bet the price will be very similar to production but you will be much happier with the custom. No matter who you talk to Nelson Factory, Roberts or another they should be able to design the perfect big board for the NW wave conditions for a 200+ weight.

Good Luck, Tim
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Angulo Sumos.

-Craig

d0uglass wrote:
The big Angulo shortboards are also pretty wavy.

Good luck. And post some pictures of the Washington Coast wavesailing if you get the chance!
-James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: