myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2013 fanatic freewave ques

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: 2013 fanatic freewave ques Reply with quote

I have the 85 freewave TE which is an awesome board. Was wondering if anyone here has experience sailing the diffrent sizes. does the 105 sail like the 95 or 85 ? putting volume aside, was curious as how they handle... Sometimes board manufactures make a particular board in many sizes...but they don't all sail the same. (larger sizes handle much different from the smaller sizes)

anyway...
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no help with the Fanatic in particular.

I have had the same series board from Tabou , 3S , the 87 & 97, they were a lot different. The specific sizes you are looking at may make things more similar.

I would expect some similarity but the character would be different, and considering the wind strength and sail size used even more so.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be surprised if the Freewave 105 feels quite different from the 85. Some board makers adjust the shape of their boards depending on volume, with control being more important for low volume boards, and early planing for higher volumes. I have just a bit of evidence that Fanatic does so:

I sailed the Freewave 95 and the 85, and thought they were very different - but so where the conditions, and I think even the model year might have been different. But the Fanatic Skate 90 is also very different from a 100 and 110 (I'm talking about 2011-2012 models). The Skate 90 we have handles chop much better than the large models. Makes sense, if you consider that the Skate 90 is what the pros use in crazy conditions like Sylt, while the 100 and 110 is what they'd use in marginal conditions.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking,
thinking about replacing the Firemove?
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you in 2008 Fanatic models (I know they are older but we all can't afford new boards every year) the 77 liter and 86 liter were very similar and were very fast responsive boards. The 95 liter was just "okay". I've sold and replaced 77 and 95 boards but still love the 86...
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dennis,

Not replacing firemove...yet. Just curious about 105 for down the road.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed the 85 and 103's, older, like 4 years, both swallow tailed, domed decks, kinda fast and very light and responsive.
But 105 is huge for planing conditions for a 160 lbs'er, even with a 6 meter sail in less than 16 mph averages. While it shows some looseness at speed, it draws too long a waterline even with straps back, track back, and boom very high. It's just plainly a quick, loose board for bigger sailors, and not something for light winds for a average weight sailior and yes, I tried several different sized fins from 28 swept pointers to 38's.
I was hoping the 103 would work as a light wind freeride go fast play board, but a pure freeride would work out better. I did have some tail rocker, but didn't really loosen it up for chop hops.
Probably a great light wind board for a 190 lbs'er.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: