myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Long weekend to hatteras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richhotdog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Long weekend to hatteras Reply with quote

My wife and I are heading down this Thurs. for a long weekend. The wind looks promising.I have never been down during the summer and don't know what to expect.Any suggestions on where to sail things to do or places to eat would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Rich
DriverA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was down last week and got 5 days of great wind. We found that Salvo Day Use Area was quite a bit better than the Canadian Hole in a SW. Lots of 4.8 sailing last week. That is, if you choose to sail sound side. Have fun!
HatterasFever

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DriverA wrote:
I was down last week and got 5 days of great wind. We found that Salvo Day Use Area was quite a bit better than the Canadian Hole in a SW. Lots of 4.8 sailing last week. That is, if you choose to sail sound side. Have fun!

salvo day use area is LOADED with weeds. The Hole is the better and has plenty of wind. and you can walk your stuff over the dune and sail in the ocean as well. forecast looks great for end of this week. hatteras rocks in the summer..always has!Smile
DriverA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed both locations last week. Weed fins manditory in both locations, but we did get better wind in Salvo, at least last week.
sandybeaches

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey if you're headed through the boston area at all would you be willing to make a few extra $$$ dropping off a board for me. If you have room and if its convenient of course. Shipping is such a pain
richhotdog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I live in N.J.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Long weekend to hatteras Reply with quote

richhotdog wrote:
My wife and I are heading down this Thurs. for a long weekend. The wind looks promising.I have never been down during the summer and don't know what to expect.Any suggestions on where to sail things to do or places to eat would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Rich

Hi Rich,

Summer is awesome, you'll love it! No wetsuits required, all of the restaurants are open with reasonable hours instead of closing at 7, and of course, there's lots of wind. Expect to sail mostly from mid afternoon until sunset if you're looking for stronger wind, anywhere between Canadian Hole and Nag's Head.

Generally, during a summer SW:

1) It's windiest earliest in Salvo, Waves, Rodanthe

2) It gets windy at the C Hole and then Frisco just a short while later

3) More likelihood of thunderstorms further north Nag's Head, Rodanthe, etc.

4) Less likely hood of thunderstorms in Avon/C Hole/Frisco

5) Weeds everywhere, except for the ocean

6) biggest waves in the ocean between Ego beach and Ramp 30, smaller waves further North towards Salvo and further south towards the point

7) None of the above may apply on any given day...

more info and a Hatteras windsurfing guide on the website noted below:

http://wind-nc.com
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you're staying. South has been well covered above. If you're in the Nags Head area, Windmill Point or Jockey's Ridge are the soundside launches. No weeds at WP. BtBill can advise on current ocean conditions. Plenty of restaurants and things to do on that part of the Banks and on Roanoke Island.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: