myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Voter suppression, race-baiting and the GOP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
"One more reason to pack."

Where are you off to?
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Stand your ground law is a surprising over reaction to the fear that Obama is going to take our guns away. Very stupid law. If you are in fear for your life, you should back off, but use any weapon at hand to protect yourself.

I'm confused. SYG is about self defense, with a weapon if necessary. It doesn't let us become the aggressor just because we're are under threat and armed. I don't see how that is overreraction or stupid.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is stupid because it inspires dumbshits to pack, and then fire on someone. I figure that if Zimmerman wasn't packing, he wouldn't be so brave as to follow a troublemaker into a fight.

I still think he had the right to shoot the kid, but without stand your ground, there'd might just be another punk eating his skittles and messing around.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense, and has been a major part of my concealed carry training, which not all states require. This case reinforces my own decision, for the reasons you gave and others.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard said:

Quote:
Stand your ground law is a surprising over reaction to the fear that Obama is going to take our guns away. Very stupid law. If you are in fear for your life, you should back off, but use any weapon at hand to protect yourself.

Well, actually I think the Florida law predated Obama, and the NRA has been flogging the law, with help from ALEC. But I agree, you get it. Zimmerman looked the worse for the wear, but without one of them packing it was a fight. And, as you said, without a gun and some sense of being a noble vigilante, he stays in his car and the cops come and question Martin and find out he is staying in the area. Nobody dies, nobody else's life is changed for ever.

Isobars, however, does not get it.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two for you righties:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/has-the-g-o-p-gone-off-the-deep-end/?hp

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/07/19/2330191/conservative-freakout-race-speech/

Oh, some will say we truly live in a post-racism world, and it is only the act of pointing out overt racism that keeps it alive. Dream on.

For an artistic take on it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZyuULy9zs
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to stay away from posting stuff from sources that are out there on the political spectrum, as in opinionator.blog, thinkprogress.org, dailycos, anything from the bay area press, and even worldnetdaily, newsmax, townhall, or weeklystandard.
Figuring that it would get little if any attention other than that from the source slammers, and you know who you are, so it's basically worthless.

But preface it with something like "two for you righties", then you can guarentee yourself that it will get no attention.

No, I didn't read those, what's the point, I already know how the far left thinks.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
I try to stay away from posting stuff from sources that are out there on the political spectrum, as in opinionator.blog, thinkprogress.org, dailycos, anything from the bay area press, and even worldnetdaily, newsmax, townhall, or weeklystandard.
Figuring that it would get little if any attention other than that from the source slammers, and you know who you are, so it's basically worthless.

But preface it with something like "two for you righties", then you can guarentee yourself that it will get no attention.

No, I didn't read those, what's the point, I already know how the far left thinks.

Hey, Mr. Turdy, here's one for you. Good reading. Of the 18 worst governors in America, 16 are republicans!
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:

Like KC's condemnation of Harvard's School of Public Health as "right wing hacks"?
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didn't read those. No surprise. How about the response to a Hispanic boy singing the national anthem? Try these comments that embrace American diversity and the melting pot: http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/52763976629/racist-basketball-fans-pissed-a-mexican-american-boy

Friends of anyone here?

Or how about Wisconsin?

Quote:
CBS/AP) MILWAUKEE- John Henry Spooner, a 76-year-old Milwaukee man, was found guilty Wednesday of fatally shooting his 13-year-old neighbor whom he suspected had broken into his home and stolen weapons. The trial now shifts into a second phase in which the defense will try to prove the defendant was mentally ill at the time of the shooting.

A jury convicted Spooner of first-degree intentional homicide in the May 2012 killing of Darius Simmons. Surveillance video taken from Spooner's own security cameras showed him confronting the teen that morning, pointing a gun at him from about 6 feet away and shooting him in the chest.

And then there are those on the forum who brand Obama as woefully incompetent--without of course any pesky facts. And those same post-racial divide commenters post videos of young African-Americans with "Obama phones"--a conscious right wing attack, using racial images, that ignores the fact that the authorization for those phones comes from a white president, Ronnie Reagan, and a white Congress. Hmm. Are these the same folks who blame outrageous TSA activities on Obama, rather than on Bush II who proposed the law, and the Congress that passed it?

I'm having a little trouble rationalizing the evidence with claims that racism is gone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 36 of 41

Jump to: